Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #1
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 27
Default Valves and connectors for bellows conversion

I have no clue what to search for in regards to the valve used with the tube from the bellows. Any leads or ideas of what this part is called and where one can possibly find them?
stackmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
Piper Joe
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Solvang, California
Posts: 136
Default Re: Valves and connectors for bellows conversion

Assuming you're currently playing a mouth-blown set I'd suggest contacting the maker of your pipes.

He may offer a conversion kit, or could covert the set over to bellows-blown.

If the maker is unable to do this, or is otherwise unavailable, you could contact some others, Michael MacHarg or Nate Banton immediately come to mind, and see if they could do it for you.

Also, John Walsh makes an adapter for his mouth-blown pipes that might work with your pipes.

Piper Joe
Piper Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
Forum Silver Medal
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ireland / Spain
Posts: 490
Default Re: Valves and connectors for bellows conversion

Traditionally it's a small leather flap with a tail. Easy enough to make. To get it to fit tightly use a hot spoon when it's in position. Tail sits at the top of the valve so naturally falling closed. Google it
Beginners Mind, Zen Mind, No Mind.
tenthpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 895
Default Re: Valves and connectors for bellows conversion

A leather flapper is easy to make, and I've also used brass-and-rubber valves designed for highland pipes. They usually need to be cut down to fit the available space but that's trivial to do.

The bigger issue is that BAGS cut for mouth-blown pipes have the stock for the blowpipe in the wrong place. Adapters like the one Walsh makes can work, but they can also be pretty awkward. If you're serious about going bellows-blown, you're better off getting a bag that has the blowpipe stock tied-in in the right place, so that the mechanics of playing the instrument work right.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Silver Sponsor

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:19 PM.