Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #11
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Old Henderson Tone

A set of 1980 to early 90s Kintails would provide that sound...and can be had at reasonable prices.
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #12
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post
A set of 1980 to early 90s Kintails would provide that sound...and can be had at reasonable prices.
But there's the thing - very few pipes based on, or allegedly based on, vintage Henderson's provide "that sound". Some have similar characteristics but few have that same extra tonal dimension of a top quality pre-WW2 Henderson set of drones.
Of course there are also many that are at least equal to some vintage Henderson's - not every instrument that came out of the Henderson workshop between 1880 and 1945 is capable of producing the sound which we like to associate with pipes from that maker. I've had a couple of people come to me over the years with "old Henderson's" (and whilst there can be no dispute about age, origin or even condition of the pipes) my advice has had to be "buy a new set from a reputable maker".
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:30 PM   #13
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Kintails of that era were most likely made by Greig Sharp, who was a turner for Henderson for many years...many including myself, have found the similarities striking...then there is the issue of the wood..

Last edited by magsevenband; 05-12-2018 at 03:34 PM.
magsevenband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #14
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I just brought my 90s set of Kintails back to life recently. There were my first set, so they'd not been played at all since I'd gotten my second set, which was round about 2007.

I oiled them progressively and was gradually playing them in for these last few months before handing them off to a friend's son to be his starter set. They have a number of cosmetic issues in the combing and whatnot, but overall, they compared pretty favorably with my set of 1910s Hendersons, which is my primary set now. Very similar sound, though Hendersons did sound somewhat richer and fuller.

I didn't have the same make of reeds in both pipes though, and was using different chanters with each setup—so really, it wasn't a fair comparison. Also, my Hendersons are cocus ... plenty of variables present. I'd not heard the Kintails played though for at least 10 or 11 years, and I have to say that I was impressed with the sound they produced.

David Locky has an awesome page which summarizes the sounds of various makes, and does a good job of categorizing them. He also then lists a number of modern makers which fit with the sound of the older types.

http://www.lockyphoto.com/bagpipeecology/?page_id=463

Here's his summary of "Henderson-based" makers:

Hardie, St. Kilda, Dunbar, Kron Heritage, MacLellan, Somers, Drumran (but made to be quieter), Kintail, Wallace (based on a set of ca 1910 Hendersons owned by Craig Munro), Strathmore and Boderiou bagpipes sound very Henderson like (and look to be produced by Wallace), R. Francois, Fletcher (based on P/M Angus MacDonald’s Hendersons), MacMurchie (based on a set of 1930s Hendersons), Colin Kyo (based on 1908 Hendersons but tweaked), and I have heard tell of Kennedy and David Booth, as well.

Cheers,
~Nate

Last edited by Pppiper; 05-14-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #15
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband

A set of 1980 to early 90s Kintails would provide that sound...

True enough!!

I have a set of 1988s that I am in the process of

transferring to a new and "good home."

Old 05-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #16
tenthpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Thanks everyone, I'd say fletcher sound the ones for me!! at some point, though if I find an original set of macraes ...
Old 05-27-2018, 02:08 PM   #17
Anndrah
Forum Member

I also have a set of 80s Kintails that I am currently considering putting a bag on and reeds in, but primarily to sell, as I have two sets of Hendersons already.
Anndrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:52 AM   #18
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Whenever "old Henderson tone" is discussed three things always enter the discussion

1) the tone of old Hendersons

2) modern pipes purportedly based on old Hendersons

3) pipemakers who worked for Henderson at some point

Somebody will talk about these things as if they have an inherent relationship, but as Roddy points out they might or might not.

#3 is particularly tenuous. A turner can leave a firm that uses one set of specs and go on to a different firm that uses totally different specs. On the other hand a maker with no connexion to a firm can produce exacting copies of that firm's pipes.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 05-28-2018 at 04:55 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:07 PM   #19
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post
Kintails of that era were most likely made by Greig Sharp, who was a turner for Henderson for many years...many including myself, have found the similarities striking...then there is the issue of the wood..
Kintail tended to be rather hit or miss, but when you got a good set, as I did with my 1982 KB-3, the tone was outstanding. I've told the story before about how a judge asked me if my set was antique Henderson, he praised the drones to no end. He was not happy when he found out otherwise.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #20
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post
Kintail tended to be rather hit or miss, but when you got a good set, as I did with my 1982 KB-3, the tone was outstanding. I've told the story before about how a judge asked me if my set was antique Henderson, he praised the drones to no end. He was not happy when he found out otherwise.

Cheers -

Wes
Agree...in their later years, say, past 1990, not all Pipes were being turned by Greig Sharp, and as a result were not consistently of high standard.