Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-30-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Brian Boru Revisited

I've been reading William Flood's book on bagpipes, its a free download for Kindle from a website, I believe its the copy from Cornell. In it it has a picture of the Brian Boru bagpipe but it has a single drone stock and the tenor, baritone, and bass all coming from the single stock--much like a Walsh small pipe. I am wondering if anyone has heard or seen such a thing in reality, if these exist and if so if there is a photo of one? I have a bucket list item that I want to get someday--a real Brian Born bagpipe such as this made for me. Probably horrendous expensive but I've got some ways til retirement and funds to dip in at that time.... ;)
plainspiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-31-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
longwind
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Brian Boru Revisited

If you Google Brian Boru bagpipe drones, there are two photos of pipes by Stark, under images, with a three drone common stock. At least one of them have chalice tops.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
tenthpiper
Forum Silver Medal

I dont think the common stock is the way to go in this situation for on the shoulder playing , puts too much stress on the joints.
seperate stocks is a better option or a barrel drones type arrangement works in a common stock.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

Its more of a historical thing for me, less of a playable thing. It would be a sit down instrument I'm sure as I dont know how you could march with a big drone flopping around (which is why I'm sure he/Starck/ moved away from it). I found a set on eBay.uk though--already had been sold--from Australia. I'd never be able to get a set here with all the restrictions and ivory hullabaloo now.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
Jeff Cullen
Forum Clasp

I bought this set in 2008. I didn't enjoy playing the drones because they sat too close to my left ear. This set is in the NMS now. I do have a Brian Boru keyed chanter that was just reeded for me this week by Chris Apps.

Jeff Cullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:15 PM   #6
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

THAT...is what I want.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:40 AM   #7
Chris Bayley
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainspiper View Post
THAT...is what I want.
Possibly not quite what you meant as it is the "Irish System" which DOES NOT use highland pipe fingering. Starck did make a chanter that did use standard highland fingering but these are rarely made by the MIME firms.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #8
Jeff Cullen
Forum Clasp

Chris knows of what he speaks. The chanter I have (with 4 keys) uses "open" fingering (just take each finger off the lowest closed hole as you go up the scale). It pitches at Bb (466) and the tonic is fingered like we would finger "B". Much of highland pipe ornamentation can't be done (there is a key in the way of dong a birl and a key in the way of playing a G gracenote). It's cool to have a couple of extra notes on top and a couple below our normal range, but you don't just start playing highland pipe tunes on it with no adjustment.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #9
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

The beading on these is really beautiful. And I like the chalice style tops as well--what kind of wood?
Old 06-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
Jeff Cullen
Forum Clasp

I think it was cocus. The mountings were brass and ivory.