Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-11-2018, 02:21 AM   #11
codart
Forum Regular

Default Re: International travel with Technopipes

Hi

I travel extensively with mine and always take it out and place it next to laptop etc seperate in the tray.

one additional tip that really helps is to find out the equivalent word for bagpipes in the local language - several times i can see the security officer pick it up and look quizically at it but when i say the word in his local language they usually nod and put it back in the tray,

I did once have a lady ask if she could hear it play - after i did this she announced she was going to buy one for her daughter to help her play the flute on planes... lol
codart is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-11-2018, 07:21 AM   #12
kenjambardjr
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by codart View Post
Hi

I travel extensively with mine and always take it out and place it next to laptop etc seperate in the tray.

one additional tip that really helps is to find out the equivalent word for bagpipes in the local language - several times i can see the security officer pick it up and look quizically at it but when i say the word in his local language they usually nod and put it back in the tray,

I did once have a lady ask if she could hear it play - after i did this she announced she was going to buy one for her daughter to help her play the flute on planes... lol
Using the local translation is a fantastic idea. I've reached out to a colleague from the pertinent region to request he translate.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
kenjambardjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #13
Linz
Holy smoking keyboard!

Only time I ever had a problem was right after 911. Had them in the pipe case with my GHBs, shuttle pipes, and a couple of practice chanters. Too many tubes and too much wire for the screeners to feel comfortable! I offered to play them, but they graciously declined...
Old 06-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #14
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Smart to remove it from your bag so the screeners don't need to go digging around for it. You won't get a "problem" per se, by leaving it in, but it does increase the chance of their wanting to tear apart your whole bag .. and that's just a damned waste of time.

I fly quite a bit, and I tend to take red-eyes because they're cheaper, and save me from taking days off simply for travel. Accordingly, I sometimes prefer to cut things a little closer to the wire in order to get an additional 30 mins to an hour of extra sleep. Thus, saving time at TSA is borderline essential. To each their own, but that's just how I prefer to do things.

Well more than 100 flights in the past 5 years, and the #1 items of interest for security screeners have always been:
  1. Electronic chanters
  2. Silica gel canisters (my moisture control desiccant of choice)

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:13 AM   #15
kenjambardjr
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Thanks All, appreciate the great suggestions.

I decided to remove the the technochanter for each of the numerous flights over the past 2 weeks, and can say that security never even took a second look.
Can't say the same for the many folks who forgot to remove pocket knives and water bottles from there carry-ons, prior to the security checks. Still amazed at how many times that happened.

Cheers,
Ken

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
kenjambardjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:54 AM   #16
tenthpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Only time it has been questioned was flying out of Marakech.i fly a lot, no bother .