Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-14-2019, 07:40 AM   #1
propuckstopper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Tin Whistle to Play With GHB

Hi there. I am an absolute rookie when it comes to the GHB, as I have only been playing the practice chanter four five months now.

Anyway, a guitarist friend is interested in playing the tin whistle. He asked me what tin whistle key would be most appropriate to play with the GHBs.

Now, I realize there are definitely different chanters you can buy for the GHB, including a "Bb" version that is supposed to play nicely with a rock or punk type band.

So, I guess, given the existence of a Bb chanter for the GHB, which tin whistle should he select?

I would imagine he should buy a Bb tin whistle, but is it that simple?

Thanks!

Last edited by propuckstopper; 03-14-2019 at 07:44 AM.
propuckstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-14-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
RichPiotrowski
Forum Regular

Default Re: Tin Whistle to Play With GHB

Hi, Elfsong makes a tin whistle with the same fingering as the bagpipe. It's called the enchanter.

You can get one in Bb.

I had one for a bit, thought I'd use it for quiet practice.

It wasn't my cup of tea so I sold it.

I don't think you will hear a whistle if you are playing in the same room as a bagpipe unless you can amplify the whistle.
RichPiotrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:08 AM   #3
propuckstopper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPiotrowski View Post
Hi, Elfsong makes a tin whistle with the same fingering as the bagpipe. It's called the enchanter.

You can get one in Bb.

I had one for a bit, thought I'd use it for quiet practice.

It wasn't my cup of tea so I sold it.

I don't think you will hear a whistle if you are playing in the same room as a bagpipe unless you can amplify the whistle.
Super! Thanks Rich! I will pass this thread along.
propuckstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
CelticHiker
Forum Regular

Unless your guitarist friend is also a piper, there is no need to get a whistle with special fingering like the Elfsong.

As for playing a whistle with the GHB, unless you are going to mic the whistle, your not going to be able to hear it, so just keep that in mind.

That being said, I have seen a number of people playing tunable low D whistles along with the GHB in various concerts and such, so obviously thats an option. And at least one of those concerts, I know that no one was playing a B flat chanter, so thats something else to keep in mind. .

You might also want to ask, or have your friend ask, at a more whistle focused forum like http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/ since its likely the only other instruments many of the GHB pipers here play with regularly are drums.
CelticHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'd probably spring for an Eb (E flat) whistle as it would give you notes above and below a Bb bagpipe chanter whereas a Bb whistle would only give you the notes above it, in addition to the notes of the bagpipe scale.

Also, whistles' quietest note is the bottom note, so if you get a Bb whistle it would be even more inaudible against the bottom hand bagpipe scale. An Eb whistle would put the bagpipe scale in the middle of the whistle's scale where the notes are more audible and easier to control.

Lastly, if you don't intend to buy a Bb chanter, and your chanter already tunes well sharp of 480+, you might opt for a tunable E whistle that you could potentially flatten, since 480 is halfway between Bb (466 Hz) and B (494 Hz).

A___Bb___B
B___C____C#
C#__D___Eb/D#
D___Eb____E
E___F_____F#
F#__G____G#
G__G#/Ab_A

I wouldn't bother with a bagpipe fingered whistle.

Last edited by Patrick McLaurin; 03-14-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #6
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticHiker View Post
Unless your guitarist friend is also a piper, there is no need to get a whistle with special fingering like the Elfsong.
SNIP
You might also want to ask, or have your friend ask, at a more whistle focused forum like http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/ since its likely the only other instruments many of the GHB pipers here play with regularly are drums.

That's not necessarily true.

I would agree that the whistle will not be nearly as loud as the GHB, however. First I'd find out where the pipes in question actually pitch, then if they're close enough to B flat, then a Bflat or even Eflat whistle would do, bearing in mind that the B flat whistle would not have a low"g" and teh E flat whistle would start its equivalent scale on the third note of the whistle.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:42 PM   #7
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

You might also think about some smallpipes in D. Then your buddy could get a standard D whistle or low-D whistle. You'd be in tune with each other, plus you'd be playing at a similar volume level...

Cost of smallpipes is the impediment, of course.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
tenthpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Susato Eb should do the job. Cheers, not a Bb ..... itís Eb you want
Old 03-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #9
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

What Patrick said. What your friend wants to do is play GHB tunes, and to that end he should buy a bog standard D whistle and learn to play it from one of the many excellent tutors available.

Worrying about pitch and key can come later, but I will note that if you want to play a civilised instrument, you want a chanter in A, not D; no-one will thank you for turning up at a session with a D chanter.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:23 PM   #10
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

An Eb whistle can be tuned to play with GHB.

With a Bb whistle you'll miss a note, but you can still play a lot of tunes