Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #11
tenthpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Would you purchase your Blair electronic chanter again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Piper View Post
Could you explain what you mean by "not very stable"? Are you referring to pitch, or something else? Also what do you mean by "goes wonky easily"?
Itís all to do with the sensitivity settings and Iím still trying to get a hang of them. Thereís little advice about . Sensitivity is basically how close to the holes you have to go to register a note and how far off to go to register the change . Also it could be that the battery was starting to go flat and that sends things Haywire .
Itís still a brilliant instrument , donít get me wrong but could do with some minor mods and better information available regarding sensitivity settings . And the pause.... a simple home button would prevent getting lost in the settings menu .
Old 03-19-2019, 06:59 PM   #12
Murray Blair
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthpiper View Post
Itís all to do with the sensitivity settings and Iím still trying to get a hang of them. Thereís little advice about . Sensitivity is basically how close to the holes you have to go to register a note and how far off to go to register the change . Also it could be that the battery was starting to go flat and that sends things Haywire .
Itís still a brilliant instrument , donít get me wrong but could do with some minor mods and better information available regarding sensitivity settings . And the pause.... a simple home button would prevent getting lost in the settings menu .
Hi, reach out to me via the website if you need support with sensors, I'm always happy to help.
There's also an online video: Setting up sensors

It's important to note our skin changes throughout the year therefore the sensors can be individually adjusted to suit. It should be quicker than re-tuning drones!
Re: mute, a foot pedal is best to use and shortly available, along with bagpipes in multiple keys. Quality of sound is fundamental to the instrument so making sure that remains. Thanks!
Murray Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:05 PM   #13
DelticRD

Thanks Murray,
I saw this before and found it really helpful.
For me the pause button issue is more around I mainly use with head phone but yes with my setup I have one of my guitar pedals which works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2019, 07:11 AM   #14
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Blair View Post
... a foot pedal is best to use and shortly available, along with bagpipes in multiple keys. Quality of sound is fundamental to the instrument so making sure that remains. Thanks!
Looking forward, thank you Mr. Blair! What a great device, and thrilling to see that it's improving still-further.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #15
Capt. Grimek

Grateful for this thread. Been looking forward to user reviews and experiences. Thanks Murray for your feedback.
Capt. Grimek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:38 PM   #16
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Grimek View Post
Grateful for this thread. Been looking forward to user reviews and experiences. Thanks Murray for your feedback.
My thoughts exactly. Really constructive and helpful discussion on all fronts.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #17
tenthpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Rather than a Foot pedal a simple on ,which becomes volume , and becomes off when pressed again is the best possible alternative.

Foot pedals are far too unreliable no way of keeping to the same volume every time you need to mute !!! Seriously Ive worked on stages for over 40 years . If you want your device to be used in that environment , and sound is certainly good enough , then the last thing I need in a high pressure environment is to be working through settings options!!!! On -volume -off . 2 presses for anything else to get into settings .
This is the only way forward , volume pedals are simply an effect and. It preactical for the use your suggesting .

That’s the only mod that is needed to be gig ready .
Old 03-27-2019, 12:10 PM   #18
Juan Pablo Plata

Blair just announced today a cut on/off pedal. You can see it in their Facebook.
Juan Pablo Plata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:16 PM   #19
Piper_DaveTO

I have been reading and rereading this thread for the past couple of weeks trying to convince myself to spend the money for a Blair Digital Chanter. I finally did it and it arrived today. I've played it for a couple of hours and love it already. I need to tweak the settings a bit for optimal gracenote performance but it plays quite well right out of the box. No more squeaks and squawks that sometimes happen when playing the practice chanter, and no more soggy reeds! I'm going to apply the new software update this evening. Unless something goes seriously wrong, I'm quite sure this is something I would purchase again in the future (but hopefully won't have to!).
Piper_DaveTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:56 PM   #20
montstros1ty
Forum Member

Bit late to the response party - the Blair chanter is one of the better investments i've made in the past few years, i'd happily recommend it.

Recording band tunes has been a breeze, using the practice chanter sound. Perfectly in tune, and no breathing gaps. Combine that with harmonies and the band are thankful for it. I've been able to do our whole repertoire. It is also helpful for figuring out the best suited harmonies for tunes too when teamed up with recording software (I use Adobe Audition).

Reference pitch for tuning all band practice chanters - via our band website, I have an individual recording of each chanter note, that pipers can listen to and adjust chanter accordingly via tape or reed positioning. This means they come to band with tuned practice chanters!

https://i.imgur.com/1pPRfgE.png

Late night practice (or any time). I live in a city apartment with the wife (she hates bagpipes by the way), so my computer setup is in the lounge right next to the couch, so even playing a regular practice chanter is an annoyance. Using the Blair chanter I can just throw my headphones on and not bother anyone.

Want to jam along to bands on Youtube? Easy! Just adjust the pitch to what the band is playing and you're away - this is pretty cool!

I also own a set of redpipes with the optical chanter, so I had a background/app suite of midi bagpipe software prior to purchasing the Blair (Studio Piper and Universal Piper). The redpipes are fairly bulky to use when sitting at a computer desk, so the Blair chanter is my go to when wanting to play around with various sample sounds.

It also picks up/promotes poor technique, so you find yourself lifting your fingers that much higher on the chanter to get the technique nice and crisp and coming through cleanly, that otherwise might sound clipped on a regular practice chanter or the pipes.

I've probably missed a couple of things, but being able to do all of the above has been well worth the money alone.

Last edited by montstros1ty; 04-07-2019 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Added image
montstros1ty is offline   Reply With Quote