Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-20-2019, 04:28 PM   #11
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: Tin Whistle to Play With GHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
An Eb whistle can be tuned to play with GHB.

With a Bb whistle you'll miss a note, but you can still play a lot of tunes
That note being the Low G of the GHB
Old 03-21-2019, 02:04 AM   #12
tenthpiper
Forum Silver Medal

The entire repertoire is available on the Eb whistle in the correct key as long as the chanter is not too high ie 466 is good!487 maybe not!
Old 03-22-2019, 04:19 AM   #13
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Being a whistle player and uilleann piper as well as a Highland piper, I would say

1) use a whistle that uses ordinary whistle fingering, not GHB fingering. A whistle isn't a GHB, isn't a recorder, isn't a Boehm flute, and the numerous attempts to get whistles to work like these various other instruments never work as well as just learning the whistle (which isn't rocket science).

2) about the issue of pitch, ordinary GHB pitch is halfway between Bb and B natural. I would chop a whistle so that it's "happy" at that pitch. I've made a B whistle out of a Generation Bb, and a C# whistle out of a Generation C, and these whistles play great, so it would be a simple matter to make a whistle play well a quartertone high.

3) the main question is where you want the piper's "Low A" to sit on the whistle. As I see it there are three top options:

1) the six-finger note. This would employ a Bb whistle. I think it's the worst option for two reasons: you're not in the whistle's tessitura (wheelhouse, ideal range) and you're missing "Low G".

2) the two-finger note. This would employ an E-flat whistle. This sits nicely in the whistle's tessitura. The problem with this is that the piper's "C" in the whistle's open C#, which doesn't easily lend itself to ornamentation.

3) the three-finger note. This would employ an F whistle. (Hopefully a "mezzo" F, not the tiny Generation screamer.) I feel that this is the ideal. Why? Because the ideal tessitura, the "home" range of the whistle, wood flute, and uilleann chanter is that G-G range (on a D whistle), and tunes in G lend themselves best to ornamentation. Now you would be using crossfingered "C natural" which lends itself much better to ornamentation than the open C#.

You would have to put tape on the "F#" hole to get the GHB's "Low G" however.

If I were to need to play regularly with a GHB that's what I would do without hesitation: chop a mezzo F whistle to make it play a quartertone sharp, and bring the whistle's "F#" (concert A) down to A flat. What I would probably do is take an F whistle head and make a new tube for that purpose.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 03-22-2019 at 04:21 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #14
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Do you have any examples of pipe tunes played on a three-finger note setup, Richard? I'd be curious to hear how it sounds, never having gotten round to trying it myself.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote