Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-17-2019, 08:29 AM   #11
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Worlds - filling and test their bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Did I read correctly here a day or two ago that once the band marches up to the line and is in position....if a player then drops out the band is DQ’d .doesnt make sense..so probably incorrect. But tapping the bag ..and one guy finds a fault...its too late to rectify ..and must bow out.
Saw a couple of pipers bow out during the march up to the line in the Grade I Worlds this morning. I've only played in Grade III and IV competition bands, but the PMs I played for, even in the lower Grades, expected every piper to be in full control of the instrument and know when to cut themselves if things weren't 100%. I once saw a Grade III PM in another band go off on a young piper at the line who was having chanter reed problems.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-17-2019, 09:19 AM   #12
John Haack
Forum Gold Medal

I don't think it's uncommon or new. Sunny weather at the Worlds is uncommon. Maybe a few extra folks maybe doing it because of that?

How about that Mylar tho?

Not gonna lie. I see a lot of gimmicks, tricks, and hacks that I don't think would really deliver measurable effects for a lower grade band. Then again, most of these grade 1 bands don't play in the kind of blazing sun that many of us in the states do. Winter Storm one year, Dr. Parkes told us the hottest temp they ever competed in was something like 73 degrees F?!?!?!? Which is what many of us would consider somewhere between ideal and....chilly. Yes, heat and sun are not "the same". But, there is a relationship for sure.

I'm going to have to ponder this one. So many other contributing factors in a grade 4 band. Very likely Mylar would have a marginal impact. Maybe it's worthless when it's 92 degrees with 70% humidity. Still going to ponder it.
John Haack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #13
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haack View Post
I don't think it's uncommon or new. Sunny weather at the Worlds is uncommon. Maybe a few extra folks maybe doing it because of that?

How about that Mylar tho?

Not gonna lie. I see a lot of gimmicks, tricks, and hacks that I don't think would really deliver measurable effects for a lower grade band. Then again, most of these grade 1 bands don't play in the kind of blazing sun that many of us in the states do. Winter Storm one year, Dr. Parkes told us the hottest temp they ever competed in was something like 73 degrees F?!?!?!? Which is what many of us would consider somewhere between ideal and....chilly. Yes, heat and sun are not "the same". But, there is a relationship for sure.
Bob Worrall a few minutes ago commented on the Mylar with Scottish Power saying it wasn't a gimmick it was very clever. Seems hard to say though, maybe in the end it's placebo effect that actually makes a positive difference?

Did anyone else notice that Lomond and Clyde PB has mismatched chanters? It looked like the PM and a few others were playing McCallum Ceols while the band were Shepherd. Bob noted how their intonation were off between the chanters but didn't mention any equipment differences.

Along those lines I have been surprised by how many bands are still playing Shepherd. Not because they don't sound great, I love the Shepherd sound, but I guess I was expecting to see a much bigger mix of G1, McCallum, etc. Band after band were still Shepherd in 2019.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #14
John Haack
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
Bob Worrall a few minutes ago commented on the Mylar with Scottish Power saying it wasn't a gimmick it was very clever. Seems hard to say though, maybe in the end it's placebo effect that actually makes a positive difference?

Oh...I dont think it was a gimmick at all. Not for their caliber. I just wonder about it in extreme sun/heat. And in the hands of a lower grade band. Under perfect conditions there's so much we can do in our band to make the top hand go wonky. Hard to say if it could make a measurable difference against all those other factors of nerves/blowing/fatiguing/etc.

Even a 2% bump in stability for a top level band can make a huge difference. A 2% bump in our stability might not even be noticeable.

But still....I wonder.
John Haack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #15
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post
Saw a couple of pipers bow out during the march up to the line in the Grade I Worlds this morning. I've only played in Grade III and IV competition bands, but the PMs I played for, even in the lower Grades, expected every piper to be in full control of the instrument and know when to cut themselves if things weren't 100%. I once saw a Grade III PM in another band go off on a young piper at the line who was having chanter reed problems.

Cheers -

Wes
Curiosity piqued I just now tried to look up the rspba rules on this..the site was FORBIDDEN..ERROR 403.... unknown if my pc suddenly?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #16
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Curiosity piqued I just now tried to look up the rspba rules on this..the site was FORBIDDEN..ERROR 403.... unknown if my pc suddenly?

No, there's a problem with it. They're working on it.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:17 AM   #17
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post

No, there's a problem with it. They're working on it.

RSPBA website back in action now...so I did find the rule regarding a player dropping out ‘ at the line’. ..as follows

“....4.51 After halting at the start line, no Bandsman/Bandswoman shall be allowed to withdraw. [2014 AGM]..”

So it’s ok to drop out while approaching the line ...but not once stopped at the line. ..after the ‘band...halt!’ Command .

I did not notice a clear ramification ( against the band) noted if a player dropped out after stopping
Old 08-18-2019, 06:58 AM   #18
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
I did not notice a clear ramification ( against the band) noted if a player dropped out after stopping

It's a somewhat daft rule. You cannot walk off after coming up to the line, but there is nothing stopping you walking on without playing, as long as the band meets the numbers without you.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:04 AM   #19
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
It's a somewhat daft rule. You cannot walk off after coming up to the line, but there is nothing stopping you walking on without playing, as long as the band meets the numbers without you.
Hmmm,..interesting counterpoint. But I’d tend towards there is likely a rule in there somewhere prohibiting a ‘player’ in the circle not doing so....unless an obvious massive instrument failure of some sort.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #20
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
Did anyone else notice that Lomond and Clyde PB has mismatched chanters? It looked like the PM and a few others were playing McCallum Ceols while the band were Shepherd.
For my eye, those aren't McCallum Ceols, those are the shepherds that predate the current shape of shepherd chanters. They used to have a boxy and square look.

Quote:
Hmmm,..interesting counterpoint. But I’d tend towards there is likely a rule in there somewhere prohibiting a ‘player’ in the circle not doing so....unless an obvious massive instrument failure of some sort.
A few years ago, probably five or more now, Richard Parkes had a stock come loose from his bag from a worn out tie-in, and stopped playing. He marched on with the band and directed all of the tempo changes. Apparently, there is a rule that allows each band one 'conductor' in the circle.

Jack