Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-29-2019, 06:28 AM   #11
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Adjusting strength on glass-fiber Rocket bass reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fogelman View Post
I thought that was just to lower the pitch?

It does lower the pitch, but in my experience it usually makes the reed more resistant to stopping.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #12
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
Would that strengthen it? Iíll give it a try tomorrow.

Charlie
It would add mass to the tongue ...requiring more pressure for it to vibrate. It will flatten the sound...outside the bench design spec....which may or may not be right for the pipe.
Let us know.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:02 PM   #13
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

I alway had good results when out of adjustments to add a thin piece of thick tape (gaffers, etc..) to the tongues in need of strengthening. other things need to be adjusted as a result of course (lowers pitch) but it made the reed harder to play and would not shut down as easily.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #14
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm friends with Mark Lee and he told me that his reeds could be sprung to give them added lift ie. make them stronger. I would carefully try that, spring the tongue up away from the body while holding down the bridle with my finger. Go slow and easy and check your results often until you get where you need to be.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:29 AM   #15
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Husk View Post
I'm friends with Mark Lee and he told me that his reeds could be sprung to give them added lift ie. make them stronger. I would carefully try that, spring the tongue up away from the body while holding down the bridle with my finger. Go slow and easy and check your results often until you get where you need to be.

Shawn, would that apply to the glass fiber tongues?

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 09-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #16
RichmondPiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Husk View Post
I've tried springing the tongue of the bass drone reed from one of my sets and that worked well for a while but wasn't permanent. However, a hair under the tongue works just great. Sometimes the old remedies are still the best.
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote