Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
bugz
Forum Member

Default Finger placement on High A in piobaireachd

I got the CoP yellow Piobaireachd tutor a while back, and I was listening again to the the audio CD today, and there was a short comment in about lesson 3, made almost in passing, that I had originally missed. The CD audio says that when playing a high A in piobaireachd, the F finger is held down, rather than the E finger, as I originally learned.

Is this true?

bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Finger placement on High A in piobaireachd

Others will reply more authoritatively, but someone told me recently that that was an old custom, now out of fashion, but still adhered to by a few people. I've seen one person play that style recently, but otherwise not.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
Andrew Lenz

I play all my High A notes this way (F down), as does PM Terry Lee (SFU). It's definitely less common though. F finger down is the traditional Piobaireachd High A fingering. It was/is also used by some pipers depending on the high hand requirements of a non-piobaireachd tune. Jimmy McColl plays both fingerings in light music, for instance . . . which one depends on which works better for getting the notes cleanly with ease. The F finger down is also common on piobaireachd High G as well.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
Piperwalton
Forum Regular

I've read on the internet that the F finger should be down on both the high G and high A, but I haven't actually seen anyone do it on the High A. If I'm not mistaken, though, High G should always be played like that (minus high G gracenotes, of course).
Piperwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
Andrew Lenz

Playing a High G always with the F finger down is unusual. I'm not aware of any piper who always plays High G that way, other than for piobaireachd.

There's some discussion with photos of bagpipe fingering here:
www.bagpipejourney.com/articles/finger_positions.shtml

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
John MacDonald
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via Yahoo to John MacDonald

In Ross's collection of pipe music from 1885; reprinted 1976 there is a fingerwork chart which shows that HI G and HI A are both played with the F Finger down. the same fingerwork chart is shown in the Bagpipe Works of Donald MacPhee which was first published in 1876and although I cant put my hands on it at the moment I also believe the JR glen books of the same era also this fingering method which also included the accursed open C's which I hate with a passion, having had to convert to a closed C.

I have only ever seen x2 players exhibit this style of fingerork. One came from Irish piping roots and another from Colonial piping roots.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
Jim Skinner
Forum Regular

So the story regarding Terry Lee is, as we got it from Jack Lee a couple of weeks ago at his summer school in Vernon, BC (Silver Star Mountain actually) when Jack had just started piping and Terry was still dancing, he asked Jack to show him the scale. Jack showed him the high A with the F finger on the chanter. He said he was about 8 at the time and had just started so it was an honest mistake. Unfortunately Terry never recovered. Bottom line...Jack's fault. At least that is how I remember the anecdote.
Jim Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
Iain Sherwood
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm of the Jimmy McColl school - used always in piob. and as necessary in light music. It's especially effective when going from high A to E taps as in The Hen and The Turkey by Fred Morrison.
Iain Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:41 AM   #9
bugz
Forum Member

So using these fingerings in light music wouldn't be considered 'false fingering' by the judges, then?
bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:44 AM   #10
Piperwalton
Forum Regular

Andrew,

Sorry, that's what I meant. I was just talking about piobaireachd.

Bugz,

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that they WOULD be considered false by judges in light music.
Piperwalton is offline   Reply With Quote