Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-29-2008, 09:59 PM   #11
kaypiob
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default First Challenge

Ok, I've decided to go ahead and post the first challenge. Prepare yourselves, 'cause it's a doosy!

As they say, lets begin at the beginning... For this first challenge I want everyone to play the very first tune you learned. For some this may be the very tune that you're working on this moment, and that's ok!! For others it might be difficult to remember just what that first tune was, and that's fine too, but I'm sure you can come close to what your first tune may have been!

I would like all levels in on this! Participants will remain anonymous, so there's no need to be shy or nervous!

When you've made your recordings you can email them to me: kaypiob at gmail dot com. Would prefer the files to be in mp3 format for uniformity sake or whatever, but if it works I'll take it. And please remember to keep the file names anonymous!!!

In your email, write what tune it is you've recorded and if you want to let me know who you are on the forums you can (not required), but only in the email--not the recording! After the recordings are posted if you wish to reveal yourself it's completely up to you.

I think that about covers it--questions? Concerns? Comments?
Old 07-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #12
Blackadder
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Practice Chanter Challenge

Your first groupie!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
David Corbett
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to David Corbett Send a message via Yahoo to David Corbett

I'm thinking...... Podcast.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #14
bugz
Forum Member

Oh, so we will get to listen to a couple of dozen .mp3s of 'Scot's Wha Hae'?

Be still, my heart!
bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #15
Mike Greene
Administrator
Wizard of Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugz
Oh, so we will get to listen to a couple of dozen .mp3s of 'Scot's Wha Hae'?

Be still, my heart!
that was my thought too!

I was thinking, "The Roses of Prince Charlie", that was my first 4/4 March.

Maybe for the next challenge we can do a poll on what type of tune (March, Slow Air, Strathspey, Reel, etc) then get tune suggestions based on that feedback?

Old 07-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #16
RowdyPiper
Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RowdyPiper Send a message via Yahoo to RowdyPiper

I can't figure out how to export. Anybody have an easier way to record aside from Audacity?
RowdyPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:51 PM   #17
Blackadder
Forum Gold Medal

Did you download the LAME patch/plugin? I guess you could save your recording as a WAVE (*.wav) file or .WMA, but it'd be on the bulky side. Ogg-Vorbis is an even better compression, but probably not widely enough used.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #18
kaypiob
Holy smoking keyboard!

I did the challenge this way because I wasn't a real big fan of the whole poll/choose a tune thing--in the end not everyone will know the tune chosen, and I think variety will make things a little more interesting. My first tune wasn't Scots Wa Hae, and I'm sure lots of other people had other first tunes as well.

As for Audacity, make sure you have this as well: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Lame_Encoder.htm
Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #19
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Part of my website is set up exactly to allow people to upload their own audio files of them playing tunes. You have to register first and send me an email telling me you aren't a spammer, and off you go. It is free and all the registration needs is your valid email so I can verify you aren't a spammer. Registration is a small price to pay, 3 seconds of your life, to ensure every post will be on topic. If anyone wants to use it, you can save having to email all the files to one person and there are no band width limits or file size limits (to an extent!).
Main Site:
www.patrickmclaurin.com

Part of site I am talking about now:
http://www.patrickmclaurin.com/wordpress/

I can create special categories to keep all the files neat and organized. Let me know, Patrick
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:42 AM   #20
kaypiob
Holy smoking keyboard!

If people want to do that, that's fine I suppose. The idea was to have one posting of all links and so forth.

I've only got two entries so far, including myself, whats everyone else got up to?