Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #11
sjbpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Sgian Dubhs and the "po-po."

I searched high and low for a "real knife" Sgian, and finally found one made by knifemaker Mickey Wise: www.angelfire.com/my/wisecustomknives/4Gallery.html

Great functional knife which I enjoy pulling out when my fellow band members can't even cut hemp with theirs. I've never had a problem with the "fuzz" even in NYC. Only issue was once with a bar bouncer who upon noticing that some of us were "armed" told us to give up our knives or leave the bar. We did not give up our knives.
sjbpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #12
Bill Urquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Whoa, great sgian dubh!
Bill Urquhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:23 AM   #13
oldsoldier
Forum Gold Medal

Man, I actually knew the answer to this trivia!!! Of course, its already been mentioned...ah well. I have NEVER had an issue in MA with wearing my sgian dubh. Most of the time, I dont think folks even notice. I wouldnt be too concerned about it. Like other said, just dont go waving it around.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:43 AM   #14
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Even though the blade is too short to be considered a weapon, I still do not wear a Sgian Dubh when playing at schools. (Even though the kids really like it if you do.)
Old 08-05-2008, 06:23 AM   #15
John Henderson
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossingnoises
I've just received a lovely Sgian Dubh as a gift and noticed it's an ACTUAL KNIFE.

I'd like some advice for (or stories about) wearing a sgian dubh at public events - police-monitored public events. (Which most parades seem to be.)

I'm in NYS, known for tough regs. I don't plan to travel with the thing at all.
In 5+ years performing in and around NYC, including countless trips on the subway, and a yearly Christmas event sponsored by the NYPD, I've never had any trouble. FWIW, all my sgian dubhs are "real" knives, i.e. stainless or high-carbon steel with a sharp (or very sharp) blade. No point in carrying a knife if it isn't a working knife you can cut and slice stuff with.

The only time I've ever heard of a problem was when then-VP Gore spoke at NYU's commencement, and the Secret Service wouldn't let the pipe band wear sgian dubhs on stage with him.

When flying with my uniform, I always but the sharp and pointy stuff in my checked luggage, and take any sharp and pointy stuff out of my (carried-on) pipe case.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:04 AM   #16
sonofsomerled
Holy smoking keyboard!

Mine is very plain and very sharp - cuts hemp well and has been very useful at parades. I have asked security/police at various games and events about wearing the knife and they assured me they had other things to worry about - soemthing I found to be quite refreshing. I have also worn it in and around New York City and no one has ever mentioned it. Note: the "real" knives can be a bit heavy so you need to tie the flashes tight to avoid kilt hose droopage...
Old 08-05-2008, 07:19 AM   #17
bugz
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbpiper
Only issue was once with a bar bouncer who upon noticing that some of us were "armed" told us to give up our knives or leave the bar. We did not give up our knives.
My band was competing at the Highland Games in Jackson, Wyoming last year, and between events, the band decided to drop into the 'Million Dollar Cowboy Bar' in Jackson. As we walked in, the bouncer looked at all the dirks and sgian dubhs, hauled out a big cardboard box, and said, "Ok, boys. I need you to put all your straight blades in here".

It was like a scene out of a cheesy movie, watching all the different style knives thudding into the box. It made for quite a collection.
bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #18
Richard Strayer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper
Even though the blade is too short to be considered a weapon, I still do not wear a Sgian Dubh when playing at schools. (Even though the kids really like it if you do.)
School grounds are about the only place I won't carry a real sgian dubh. I purchased one of those fake sgians just for this purpose - the handle & "sheath" are all one piece of molded resin, and there is no actual blade. It also came in handy when I piped at an event where the First Lady was the guest speaker and the Secret Service specifically told us to leave the sgians at home.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #19
piper42scot
Forum Regular

In my 30 odd years of piping I have never had any problems with my skien dubh or my dirk, during the years I have played in many countries all over the world and have not met any resistence regarding this.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:19 AM   #20
Frank W
Holy smoking keyboard!

The most useful Sgian Dubh is the one with the bottle opener. You can take it anywhere, even on a plane and never have look for a bottle opener when you need it most.