Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-17-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
bugz
Forum Member

Default canntaireachd question

I am going through the CoP piobaireachd tutorial book I recently bought, and in the first tune covered, The Companies Lament, they show an embellishment on the first line they call a throw on C with the canntaireachd of dro, but in the staff notation, it looks like a grip to me. The phrase in question is heodroo (he-o-dro-o), which is a G gracenote on F, B, throw on C (or grip to C?), B.

In the appendix on Nether Lorn Canntaireachd, they list the canntaireachd for leumluaths, and for a grip from B, the canntaireachd is hiobare.

So what is the difference between a throw on C and a grip? Is it that in piobaireachd the leumluaths consist of a melody note with a G gracenote followed by the embellishment? (i.e. himbare - from low G with G gracenote, hinbare - from low A with G grace note, hiobare - from B with G grace note, and so forth). There aren't any examples of leumluaths in the tunes covered in the tutorial, so I can't see if there are any cases of playing a grip from a melody note that doesn't have a G gracenote.

It's a bit confusing for this piobaireachd novice, but very interesting, nonetheless. I always love exploring new things!
bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
phinson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: canntaireachd question

To me, the difference between the grip and the throw is the starting point...not the internal gracenoting. Grips start and end on the same note...B to B, C to C, E to E. Throws begin on one note and end on another...B to C, A to E, etc. Lemluaths are basically throws and always end the movement on E. If you can find a copy or recording of "Then Glen Is Mine" it contains a singling and doubling full of them.

The internal (gracenotes) fingering for grips, throws, and lemluaths are the same as in light music (low G-D-Low G). In studying piobaireachd you might run across the movements occasionally from D which are a bit different. The movement from D substitutes a B gracenote for the D gracenote between the two low Gs (taorluaths and crunluaths from D follow suit).

Paul Hinson
phinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
bugz
Forum Member

Ah, now this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for, since it isn't covered in the tutorial that I have seen.

In light music, the only throw I am familiar with is the throw on D, and grips can be played pretty much from any note to any note, but if the convention in piobaireachd is different, that is nice to know.

Also, I wasn't aware that Lemluaths always end on E, which as I understand it is the same for Crunluaths, and I presume Taurluaths as well?

Well, I guess complexity is part of piobaireachd's attraction.

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
phinson
Holy smoking keyboard!

I don't know why the terminology difference.

Yes, lemluaths and crumluaths end on E.

Taorluaths are structurally like they appear in light music. Most often they end on low A. Sometimes they end on low G. Right off the top of my head I can't think of any piobaireachd which have taorluaths ending on B or C, but there might be.

Taorluath-a-mach movements end on B, C, or D but that is a different critter and are fairly rare compared to the standard taorluath If you get a copy any of the major piobaireachd collections, you'll run across a few of them.

Good luck

Paul
phinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
bugz
Forum Member

Quote:
Also, I wasn't aware that Lemluaths always end on E, which as I understand it is the same for Crunluaths, and I presume Taurluaths as well?
I certainly get the D'oh! award for not thinking this statement through. : The Taurluath can hardly end on E since the embellishment gracenotes end with an E gracenote.

Usually ending on low A makes much more sense. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
drivebypiper
Forum Clasp

Send a message via AIM to drivebypiper

bugz,

If you get a chance, listen to Black Donald's March. It goes through Leumluath, Taorluath, Crunluath, so you can hear the progression and the distinct flavor of each variation. I think there is a free download of Roddy MacLeod playing it at the Dan Reid Concert on their website.

"I Am Proud to Play a Pipe"
drivebypiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

tHE nATIONAL pIPING cENTRE GIVES OUT AT THEIR SEASONAL SCHOOLS, A REALLY GOOD SHEET - A COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF ALL THE EMBELLISHMENTS INCLUDING THE PIOBAIREACHD ONES. It also gives a page on each one, with a method for practicing them, devised I believe by Gavin Stoddart. But its great for just giving a really clear picture of whats what. I don't know if they'd give you one without attending a school, or not but you could ask I suppose.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote