Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-27-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
kaypiob
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Practice Chanter Challenge

Anyone remember the Practice Chanter Challenge? Was wondering if anyone might be interested in bringing it back. I don't mind taking the reins so long as people are interested in participating.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
RowdyPiper
Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RowdyPiper Send a message via Yahoo to RowdyPiper
Default Re: Practice Chanter Challenge

sure
RowdyPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
Padawan Piper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Heck ya!!

I didn't get to do the other one so this would be kinda cool..

Eric
Padawan Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
Blackadder
Forum Gold Medal

So, are you going to pick the tune?
Old 07-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
kaypiob
Holy smoking keyboard!

Will do--some other stuff has to be worked out before anything officially gets started. What kinds of tunes would you all like to do? I've got some ideas for future challenges, but would like to keep the very first challenge in the same basic format as the original.

However, one major change that is going to happen is that the challenge itself will be a bit more anonymous than it was originally. I've been told there were some pretty harsh criticisms of some of the beginner recordings-to the point of being mean rather than helpful, so I would like to avoid that if at all possible.

Some of the moderators have offered to help with this, so as soon as I figure out what goes where and such things can get cooking!
Old 07-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
Greg the Piper
Forum Member

This sounds like a great idea. Count me in (now I have to learn how to make MP3 recordings.) Might I suggest that you choose a four-part tune that could be used in competitions?
Greg the Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
kaypiob
Holy smoking keyboard!

There is a free open source program you can download to make your recordings: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ Quick, easy, pretty much point and click: record and then export as mp3.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:16 AM   #8
Blackadder
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla
There is a free open source program you can download to make your recordings: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ Quick, easy, pretty much point and click: record and then export as mp3.
If you download the Windoze version, you need to make sure to also download the LAME plugin that allows you to export to mp3. Not sure, but the licensing for LAME is not as free as audacity. But if you run Linux, and are a stickler for purity in your open source software, you can download a plugin called toolame that allows you to export to MP2, which is a format that can generally also be recognized by most desktop mp3 players.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
Bill Urquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

I just use the sound recorder that comes with Windows. It saves it as a .wma (Windows Media) file, but if you open it with iTunes it converts it to .mp4. I presume anyone can hear .mp4 the same as .mp3?

Okay, I just recorded myself on the PC using the above process, and converted to .mp4. Let me know if it works okay. Please excuse the background-- Daddy Urquhart had a hard time getting through The Conundrum with Baby Urquhart next to him!

Daddy playing and daughter yelling
Bill Urquhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
Miniracer
Forum Silver Medal

Great. I think Baby was perfectly in tune!