Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
sonofsomerled
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Great Mouthpiece Debate

Okay - I have noticed that many piping gurus use the traditional round mouthpiece while many of the "rank and file" opt for the oval version. I play the round one (no "guru" am I, unfortunately - maybe the guy who fetches the guru's water), but I have tried the oval and did not notice a huge difference in ease of playing. What's the deal with this? Is the oval truly "better?" Which do the top players use, and why?

Old 07-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
bugz
Forum Member

Default Re: Great Mouthpiece Debate

Just from personal experience, my lips tired less quickly using the oval mouthpiece. When I used a round mouthpiece, I would tend to quickly lose my 'pucker'.

Now that my general endurance has improved overall, I suspect I'd probably do about as well now with either a round or an oval, but for folks who are still building up, I think the oval is better.
bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
Oengus
Forum Silver Medal

I put an oval mouthpiece on my old pipes years ago, when they first came out, and have always been happy with it. When I bought a new set a few years ago, I never bothered to switch to an oval on them. I play both sets regularly, and it doesn't seem to make a difference to me. Go figure.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
sonofsomerled
Holy smoking keyboard!

Its coming down to whether its worth $30 (and offending the purist in me) against some discernable increase in comfort. I have one "yea" and one "nay" - please keep the votes coming in!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
Linz
Holy smoking keyboard!

Well, I'm cheap, so I put a piece of plastic tubing over the end of my mouthpiece. I have an Airstream because I like the increased air flow, and I've bitten through 3 of them. I found a piece of plastic Irrigation tubing that fits over the end. I can chew like a Pitbull and not break it. It also conformed to the true shape of my mouth (flattened ellipse, not oval) and it's extended my comfort level and playing time considerably.
So that makes 1 for, 1 against, and 1 "Other".
Old 07-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've tried a couple of oval mouthpieces, the Airstream and the one that comes with the Flexistik. I couldn't stand either one. Because the plastic they are made of has to be so thin, they both require either a rubber or vinyl sleeve to protect the plastic. The heavy vinyl on the Flexistik oval mouthpiece ends up making it thicker than the equivalent round mouthpiece. Since it is also wider than the round mouthpiece, it is even harder to achieve a good seal at the lips than with the round mouthpiece. The Airstream is slightly thinner than an equivalent round mouthpiece, but I can't stand the feel of rubber in my mouth and it made me gag. Obviously, not everyone has that problem, but I do. Also, with an oval mouthpiece, every time you remove the blowstick to empty your water trap, you have to re-position it exactly as it was. Call me impatient, but I found that to be a nuisance.

I've never had a problem sealing my lips around a round mouthpiece and I find it more comfortable than the oval type.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
reprosser
Forum Silver Medal

I am no top player, but I got better results when I was learning and went from round to oval (with rubber sleeve on both).
Now, if I leave my lips in the neutral position (oval), and press then together on my finger, it feels stronger (top to bottom) than if I purse my lips into an "O" and press together on my finger. It seems like different muscles are involved when my lips are pursed. The fact that I learned and play with oval may have determined the difference in strength.

I think it is just a matter of what works best for you.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
reprosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
Piper_06
Holy smoking keyboard!

I am a fan of the oval. I think it feels better to me. I use a Cristler adjustable with the oval. I just received a new to me set of Gibsons with the adjustable on them. The mouthpiece is round. No real change in stamina. I ordered a new mouthpiece today, oval. I will stick to what has worked for me.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
Dave Sanderson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Started and have stayed with the round mouth piece. I even switch it when I play the Poly Dunbars as my lips are conditioned to its size, I tried the one that came with the Dunbars but it was thicker and felt weird. The piece generally sits in the middle but I can slide it around from side to side when watching other pipers in the circle, I'm the PM. There are no teeth marks on my mouth piece either as strong lips, good blowing technique and upright posture makes for relaxed playing.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Dave makes an excellent point. If you have good posture and technique and you play often enough you can pretty much use any mouthpiece shape you like. But for beginners the oval or flattened versions are usually better.

Shawn

PS. I prefer the round.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote