Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
Polybius
Forum Member

Default D-Throw freeze up

Hi folks. I've been playing the PC for about three months now and have recently experienced something new and troubling related to D-throws. Particularly when going from a low A to a D-throw (currently working on 10th HLI) I am 'freezing up' on the low A. I can play the D-throw fairly well for someone at my experience level - so I am told by my instructor - but I'm getting this freeze up where my fingers just refuse to do what I tell them. It is very unnerving to say the least.

Has anyone ever experienced this with a D-throw or any other movement? What did you do to get over it?

My instructor is having me repeatedly practice D-throws from all the different notes, up and down the scale. Not sure it is helping yet.
Polybius is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
Bruce Wright
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: D-Throw freeze up

Hard to say for sure without watching you, but my guess would be that your hands are too tight - either holding onto the chanter too tight or holding your fingers too stiffly straight.

I should probably also add that sometimes if you're a bit unsure of your ability to play a tune, that can contribute to tight hands even if you're not prone to them in other circumstances. You may need to work on relaxation exercises so you're not so likely to do that when you get a bit nervous. The 10th Bn HLI Crossing the Rhine is a great 6/8 and not too difficult, but may be enough of a challenge at this point that it may look a little daunting. Try to keep it slow at first and keep your hands light rather than tight!

Good luck,

Bruce
Old 08-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
King Henry
Forum Regular

It sounds like a similar problem I had/have. I would somewhat freeze on the d throw from any note on the low hand . What helped me overcome this was to simply practice the D throw from low G. Over and over and over and over. Slowly at first and increasing speed until it freezes again (and then backing up a step). This helped me alot. I suspect that it was a tight grip as Bruce mentioned. Whatever the case, I have improved a bit.
King Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
Polybius
Forum Member

Thanks for the insight. I do notice that when I do 'freeze' my grip tightens considerable. Don't know whether the grip is the actual problem or if the ultimate cause is mental, but either way I'll focus on keeping a loose grip and keep working on the exercises.
Polybius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
kyp crawford
Forum Regular

Interesting.

I have no problems with D Throws, however, I pretty much have the same problem with G/D/G grips. Though I am working on it, my lower hand tends to "freeze" in place after I hit the D. Don't have a problem with the G/B/G type grip, but then again that is all lower hand.
kyp crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
Piratepiper
Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Piratepiper

For me I have the same problem... I would say its mental (the brain is not connecting with the fingers) for me its "d" and "e" grace notes, my mind knows they are there but the fingers don't want to play them... its all a matter of practice til the point where it becomes automatic and its not even a thought
Old 08-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
Kenton Adler
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm with King Henry. Relax, and MORE LOW G, then let it rip.

For best results - PLAY LOUD
Kenton Adler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
RandyJ
Forum Regular

Last week I accidently cut the underside of my right thumb. I heal fast and was able to pick my PC back up after a few days. My thumb was still sore but I was amazed how my B, C, doublings came to life. Now that the tenderness is wearing off I find myself gripping too tightly every so often and I have to make myself loosen up.
RandyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
Bruce Wright
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton Adler
I'm with King Henry. Relax, and MORE LOW G, then let it rip.
This is one of those areas when you really need to have a good teacher or at least a good piper listen to your playing. Probably the majority of beginners tend to make their low G's too light in D throws and grips etc, but there are a few who make them much too heavy - to the extent that it interferes with the rhythm and melody. It's impossible for a book to give you feedback on whether you're doing one of these wrong (or any number of other things for that matter).

I know that the original poster is getting instruction, but self-tutoring is a topic that comes up repeatedly on this forum. In general I do not recommend it, primarily because of the lack of direct feedback. There have been quite a number of times when a self-taught piper came in to the band classes and we've had to put them in remedial classes or lessons because they'd learned so many bad habits. It's much easier to learn it right the first time!

Bruce
Old 08-05-2008, 04:50 AM   #10
King Henry
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wright
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenton Adler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm with King Henry.
This is one of those areas when you really need to have a good teacher or at least a good piper listen to your playing.
I know that the original poster is getting instruction, but self-tutoring is a topic that comes up repeatedly on this forum. In general I do not recommend it, primarily because of the lack of direct feedback.Bruce </div></div>

This is a message board. A question was asked and answers were given. We simply told the asker what helped overcome the "freezing up". It is up to individuals to decipher what answers they consider of value. By the way, what was the topic question?
King Henry is offline   Reply With Quote