Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
Kevo
Forum Member

Default Need help in understanding timing, keeping of...

I've never played a musical instrument before or kept time. Any pointers or additional sites of knowledge that would be useful? I do have a metronome, but not sure how to set it up... It's one of those little blue battery jobs. I'm on the "green" book on about lesson 11. Thanks!!

Kevin
Old 08-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
David Corbett
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to David Corbett Send a message via Yahoo to David Corbett
Default Re: Need help in understanding timing, keeping of...

Instructor?
Old 08-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
Kevo
Forum Member

Yeah that's my quest... I'm STILL trying to get an instructor... Some members are attempting to get one to call me but no luck yet. bummer! Still looking though, any leads???

kevin
Old 08-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
carolinapipes
Forum Regular

If you have natural rythm than timing should come easy to you once you become familiar with the time signatures by hearing them being played. One thing that helped me when I was without an instructor was Jim McG's Rythmic Fingerwork tutor. It really breaks down in detail where the beat is suppose to fall on the various embellishments. I admit, I have never played to a metronome, just tapped my feet, and never had an issue keeping time. I've never worked out of the green book because I learned out of the Sandy Jones tutor. The explenation of time signatures as well as the exercises seemed to be sufficient.
carolinapipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:47 AM   #5
David D.
Forum Regular

Any music teacher could show you how to use your metronome, count, keep rhythm, understand the different time signatures etc. This is music theory that applies to all disciplines.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:17 AM   #6
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Need help in understanding timing, keeping of.

Definitely find an instructor as soon as possible, and get regular lessons. Once you do, and if you can bear to play a piece written for kids, if you go to the link below, and click on Kids Play no 2 (I think) - anyway it's called 'Ticking Clock' - you can learn the chanter part, then try and play along with the accompaniment and there's a line that guides you through the music. The beat is very pronounced, so it would be quite hard NOT to play along with the beat. But it's designed for people learning to play to a beat. But before you try it, be sure you know the actual notes and fingering, because if you pause to find fingering or notes, the beat of course continues without you!!!!Good luck with beat keeping!
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:07 AM   #7
King Henry
Forum Regular

Until you get your instructor, Ringo can probably help.

http://www.thebagpipeplace.com/school/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoke
The simple ways are often the best... listen to a good recording (until you get sick of it ;-)

You will probably be tapping your foot or fingers in time with the music... in which case, you're half way there!
This method is what helped make the rythem light up for me.

****disclaimer*** I am a beginner learning from CD's books, DVD's***
King Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 AM   #8
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David D.
Any music teacher could show you how to use your metronome, count, keep rhythm, understand the different time signatures etc. This is music theory that applies to all disciplines.
My wife (a music teacher, but not a piper) taught me to use a metronome. It's not that hard. If you can't find any piping instructor, then call up any music store and sign up for a lesson with any wind teacher, just for the purpose of learning how to use the metronome, understanding rhythm, and how to practice efficiently.

And then see about some of those online lessons with a piping instructor, which has to be better than trying to figure it out for yourself.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #9
King Henry
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864
And then see about some of those online lessons with a piping instructor, which has to be better than trying to figure it out for yourself.
I know of a guy who took a graduate course called "Statistical Processes for Industrial Design." One of the cornerstones of the course was that you don't really need to understand a process in order to be able to improve it , you just need to figure out some of the variables. So the way I see it, maybe figuring it out yourself is an option.

***This is a joke of course***
King Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #10
Bruce Wright
Holy smoking keyboard!

As Heatherbelle noted, until you're comfortable with the fingerings it's going to be hard to play to the beat.

Two things I often have my students try is to clap or sing the tune in time to the metronome - this gets rid of all of the chanter technique issues so you can just think about the timing. If you have trouble figuring out where the beats should be, try writing "1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +" over the notes in the score to show where the beats and off-beats should be. Also it's best to start out with counting really simple tunes - Coulter's Candy is good for this, or Bonnie Galloway. I'm less happy with most of the tunes in the Green Book for that because they are rhythmically much more complex.

And, find a teacher! If nothing else you can probably locate someone to work with you over the Internet, which although not as good as being there in person would be much better than guessing at it on your own.

Bruce