Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Adult Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adult Pipers Related to Adult piping or pipers, this is the place.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
Blackadder
Forum Gold Medal

Default Beginner's back pain

After about 20 minutes of practicing on the full pipe, my back starts to feel really stiff & painful. I asked my teacher to make sure I was standing alright, not swaybacked or anything, and he said my posture was good.
So basically I interrupt my practice sessions with stretching sessions, which seems to help.

I may be answering my own question, but I saw on an older thread someone suggesting that this might be because my back muscles are trying to 'help' my diaphragm, which may be too weak.

I guess I just want to know if I'm alone in suffering this, or if it's rather common for new pipers?
Thanks.
EB
Old 09-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Wildchild
Forum Member

Default Re: Beginner's back pain

You're not alone, I had the same problem when I was first on the pipes. Try to relax and breathe from your diaphragm. This will, hopefully, take some of the strain off your back muscles. Things will get better in time, so try to be patient with yourself. Stretching is a good idea, especially after your session, as it will help to avoid muscle stiffness later. Good luck, and hang in there!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:13 AM   #3
bugz
Forum Member

I used to get back spasms sometimes after I played a long time, which I think was not the result from breathing and improper use of my diaphram as much as it was just muscle strain from squeezing the bag with my elbow.

I particularly noticed this when I found myself squeezing harder with my arm to compensate for loosing pressure as my pucker started weakening.

Just keep playing, and all the muscles involved will strengthen.
bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
bentmack
Forum Member

Yes, yes ,yes, the mystery pain! I also notice it when breaking in a new reed or a slightly harder one. I also have heart/lung issues and when playing to long on a harder reed, I feel like I just pushed a car out of the snow. Even fatigue in the back of my legs. My Chiropractor pointed out that my chest was very tight when my pain is between my shoulder blades and showed me a stretch to help. It sure does help me!!! I stand in the (inside) corner with arms up on the walls, first low then mid then high, and lean in to the corner. I think before playing it feels much more relaxed as well.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
raymac
Forum Gold Medal

perhaps stretch before you play?

Raymac
raymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
dorothy
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm curious about your level of fitness. Playing the pipes is a physical effort, and you need to be fit to do it. Just playing pipes isn't going to do it. You need to do some kind of cross training: walking, swimming, cycling, etc.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
bentmack
Forum Member

For me anyway, piping is the ONLY exercise I can do. Aortic valve replacement and the medication to make my heart more efficient is disabling and standing bending and most moving makes me dizzy and pass out. I pipe half hour to an hour a day. Can't walk much let alone cycling or swimming. It has mostly taken away my dizziness (physical, no hope for my mental capacity) enabling me to walk through the store without a shopping cart as a walker. I also dropped my kilt size from 43" to 39". I take deeper breaths and don't feel like I'm dying any more. Even have hopes of marching with a band but solo is sufficient for now.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:30 AM   #8
Blackadder
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothy
I'm curious about your level of fitness. Playing the pipes is a physical effort, and you need to be fit to do it. Just playing pipes isn't going to do it. You need to do some kind of cross training: walking, swimming, cycling, etc.
Are you asking me as the one who started the thread, or bentmack?
-EB
Old 09-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
Michael McCoy
Forum Member

Not sure if this is root cause, but you may wish to have an independent, knowledgeable piper examine your posture while you're playing. An incorrect blowpipe length may strain the neck, and manifest itself as back problems.

This may be a strange suggestion, but yoga would be advisable, both for flexibility, strength and blood flow.

Good luck!
Michael McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:21 AM   #10
Blackadder
Forum Gold Medal

Considering my teacher's experience, current position and the quality of his instruction, I think he's quite independent and knowledgeable.

My wife takes yoga, and has taught me some her positions, actually. Don't know if I have time to fit in another activity, as far as taking a class would go. Would rather spend my time practicing.
Thanks!