Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-23-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
Army Piper 101
Forum Member

Default Cane practice chanter reed help

I have searched for hours on the web looking for a cane practice chanter reed. I have several brands of synthetic, plastic, practice chanter reeds that I have been experimenting with.

My bagpipe instructor and several other pipers in the band have cane practice chanter reeds and have given me some potential websites where they think I could buy some, but after hours of searching, (even searching the more common and popular bagpipe web sites) I cannot find anyone that sells cane practice chanter reeds. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Army Piper 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Iain Sherwood
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Cane practice chanter reed help

I've been carrying them for years.
Iain Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
fatbob piper
Forum Regular

How is it possible to play a cane PC reed? My plastic reeds are soaked all the time. I can't imagine a cane reed and all the trouble that has to be. I suspect they sound pretty good for a little while though.
fatbob piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
maitland
Holy smoking keyboard!

One method is to have several practice chanters on the go, never playing one long enough to soak the reed. And a goose.
maitland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Roger Huth

I found my cane practice reeds played better with moisture. They soaked up what they needed and the rest just rolled off.

Then 5 months ago I came across plastic reeds that actually sound better than cane while taking less air; so they are in all my practice chanters now, including my practice goose.

Roger
Roger Huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Bill Urquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Roger, care to share where you got those plastic reeds?
Bill Urquhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:22 PM   #7
John S. Foley
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm with Roger. I use a Dunbar long PC, and it generally soaks my plastic reeds to the point that the bindings get mushy and the reed won't play any more(until it dries out). And I have to shake out the excess quite often. Sponges work sort of...butI've finally started wrapping teflon tape around the bindings to keep them drier. (Not too tight...it'll change the sound.) My cane practice chanter reeds are another story...They seem to thrive on the moisture. Like chanter reeds, they need to get used to making a musical sound, rather than being a piece of plant growing in the stream, but unlike chanter reeds they definitely get better with age. I love 'em. I think my last ones came from the Tartan Thistle, but I've always been able to find them from every vendor I've ever asked.

Forgot to mention...you DO have to be sure and let the air get to them to dry. They get will get filthy black with mold very quickly if you don't.
John S. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #8
Blackadder
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Urquhart
Roger, care to share where you got those plastic reeds?
Hear, hear!
Old 09-25-2008, 12:48 AM   #9
Roger Huth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Urquhart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roger, care to share where you got those plastic reeds?
Hear, hear! </div></div>

I'd better not. All I can say is that I wouldn't look beyond cane until I tried these ones. Then I instantly converted all my own practice chanters, Glens, Lawrie, Naill, Roberston, Inveran, Henderson etc., and those of my pipers to these new plastic ones. Up 'till then I couldn't stand plastic while the cane ones were and still are available. But these particular plastic ones take little air, have perfect tone, smooth timbre, refuse to squeak and squeal, need no breaking in, inexpensive. They are just perfect for me and for my pipers.

Going back to cane though, I'm pretty sure that I bought my last batch from Kintail. It was easy as they have an on line set up for purchasing, and I just placed my order accordingly. No problems.

Roger
Roger Huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:24 AM   #10
fatbob piper
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Huth
Then 5 months ago I came across plastic reeds that actually sound better than cane while taking less air; so they are in all my practice chanters now, including my practice goose.

Roger
Indeed. I don't think I will waste my money on cane for such a thing.
fatbob piper is offline   Reply With Quote