Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-23-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
JustinG60
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default anyone ever buy from this place? (J. Higgins)

http://www.jhiggins.net

I dont remember how I stumbled across this site but none the less I did. they have prices on pipes that seem too good to be true? I am looking at McCallum ABP2's and they're hundreds of dollars cheaper than I have seen elsewhere. Usually I just assume that it's a scam but the place seems pretty legit? Then I started to wonder maybe theres things missing from the sets of pipes that I don't know about? I honestly do not know a whole lot about pipes to know if they're missing something... But what I know with the exception of hemp and assembly they sound complete. Sorry about the rant but I dont know anyone who pipes, as well I haven't found anyone around Baltimore who teaches either...

I'm sure this will be mentioned, I know I am not at the stage of needing a set of GHB's but by personality I do a ton of research before I jump into anything. As well I would imagine asking which set made by who is better would be like asking a guitar player such as myself which is better Gibson or Fender? Marshall or Orange? Brittish amp or American? I'm sure you know what I am getting at...

also... first post on the forums! haha and why is it i can see the original post of threads, just responses?
JustinG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: anyone ever buy from this place?

J.Higgins is a very reputable company that's been around for a long time. Whatever you see on their site will be accurate. They are known for having great deals on McCallums.

Shawn

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
Bob Harper
Forum Silver Medal

Higgins has been in business for a long time, and never had a problem ordering from them. In fact, they've been supplying our band uniforms for I don't know how many years.
Bob Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
North Idaho Piper
Forum Silver Medal

J. Higgins are very reputable. I've used their chanter reeds for years. I've also bought piping supplies from them. I priced their kilts but went another direction.

Karl
“For some the Highland pipe is a serious instrument, to be played with skill and care and to consume a lifetime in its study ... but to me, it’s even more important than that - it is life itself.” PM Bruce Campbell
North Idaho Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
P Elliott
Forum Silver Medal

Very good to deal with! We bought tons of stuff from them... Sporrans, belt buckles, Jackets (Tunic), etc.

Get their chanter reeds, very nice and affordable.

One of the Higgin's plays for City of Washington.. So it's a shop filled with experience with both clothing, pipes and reeds.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
PiPeZiLLa
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to PiPeZiLLa

Search the forums and there are few threads about their service. Seems to be half good/half bad. I lost about $300 to them. (Argyle jacket that got "lost")
PiPeZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinG60 View Post
http://www.jhiggins.net

I dont remember how I stumbled across this site but none the less I did. they have prices on pipes that seem too good to be true? I am looking at McCallum ABP2's and they're hundreds of dollars cheaper than I have seen elsewhere.
I bought a set of McCallum ABP2 pipes from Higgins. It really is a fantastic deal. They are good sounding pipes too, and came with everything necessary to play. I didn't care for the chanter reed, but that's a pretty minor issue. If you add up the cost of a McCallum chanter, MG drone reeds, and Canmore bag, you almost get to the selling price. The only downside is they are such a popular item he didn't have any in stock and could not tell me when they would ship. I think it was over a month before they arrived.

Quote:

As well I would imagine asking which set made by who is better would be like asking a guitar player such as myself which is better Gibson or Fender? Marshall or Orange? Brittish amp or American? I'm sure you know what I am getting at...
It's kind of like that in some ways. The actual bagpipes are generally pretty similar, which is different from electric guitars, where the scale length, neck radius, and body designs are all different.

Beginners (judging from the last highland games I attended) seem to have a hard enough time even hearing if drones are in tune, so they probably can't hear the subtle differences there can be between two sets of drones. It's even harder when you take into account the differences the reeds can make. A lot of people will tell you to go out and listen to a lot of different pipes, and there's no reason not to, but you should be aware that there are many variables and most beginners aren't going to have a sophisticated ear to sort them all out.

After four years of playing I can clearly hear how the drones are different between my two sets. I can't say I really have a preference. They both sound like bagpipes.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Flyrod
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiPeZiLLa View Post
Search the forums and there are few threads about their service. Seems to be half good/half bad. I lost about $300 to them. (Argyle jacket that got "lost")
You were still charged even though you didn't receive your jacket? Noted. That, to me, seems like a big deal. I had an issue along those lines when buying a doublet from a UK supplier. When I called my card company and held payment, they became much more 'diligent' in their customer service efforts. Unnecessary drama.

My advice: use a card. Insist on postal tracking. Hold any dealer you deal with accountable for their side of the bargain. It is, after all, business.

Just my $.02

Flyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
PiPeZiLLa
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to PiPeZiLLa

They sent a coat that was too small. They offered to send me a new one, if I returned the old one. So I sent it back (and told them that day), and was expected to receive the new coat a month or so later. Well about two months later they told me they never recieved the small coat that I sent. In the end, I never got a coat from them.
PiPeZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
rpeitzsch
Holy smoking keyboard!

Higgins has a mixed history with its customers - some people have gotten good service and products, others have not. Do a search on this forum and you'll turn up other threads on Higgins and people's interactions with them.