Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
stepha
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default beginner's fears

i am of small stature (4'11'' with small hands and an exceptionaly wee pinky. any thoughts? also- i need a reality check, on the average(?) how long does it take to get the fingers to flow through a scale?
stepha is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: beginner's fears

I'm a tall fat guy with smallish hands and a small piky too (but big feet ha ha) and I don't know if it's a real problem. My pinky almost disappears in the bottom hole of my chanter and I guess big fat fingers or pinky might be better but I can say it will come with practice.

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Oh and it depends what you mean. Play the scale, play the scale without crossing notes or play the scale at a ridiculous speed. I think a full week to the point you can start on a tune.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
kaypiob
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm 5'3", have small hands and thin fingers. To hazard a guess, my pinkies measure about 2-2.5 inches long. You'll be fine. There are some very top players of similar stature.

As far as getting through the scale... it depends on the person, and it's bad for your psyche to think about how long it takes to do or learn something. Practice hard, and it'll come soon enough. Don't get hung up on timing.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
stepha

thanks all of you! never thought to measure the pinky (2 in for inquiring minds) i will continue to practice, practice.
i meant to play the scale clearly and without faults- at this point i know what to do, just dont seem to have fallen into a comfortable and reliable hand position
Old 10-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
larry_piper
Forum Silver Medal

There are some very fine pipers who are not big people. Gordon Walker comes to mind. When you get there, you may have to consider a pipe chanter that works better for you. I switched to a different maker because my pinky just couldn't hit the low g very well, on a birl for example. With my new chanter, it's markedly better. It's all part of the learning process - not just the music, but what equipment will fit you. But all that's a long way off (but here before you know it ).
Old 10-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Waaaaay back when or 9 months or so I got the brainy idea to tape 1/2 the bottom hole and it worked great until I forgot to take the tape off and went to a lesson and I thought my instructor was going to have a stroke. Anyway so I toughed it out and I rarely have a problem with my chanter. My new problem is the pipe chanter hole is is bigger than my pinky so I have to be really accurate.

You do have an instructor don't you and what book are you using?

Old 10-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
stepha

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bolt View Post
Waaaaay back when or 9 months or so I got the brainy idea to tape 1/2 the bottom hole and it worked great until I forgot to take the tape off and went to a lesson and I thought my instructor was going to have a stroke. Anyway so I toughed it out and I rarely have a problem with my chanter. My new problem is the pipe chanter hole is is bigger than my pinky so I have to be really accurate.

You do have an instructor don't you and what book are you using?
LOL i do have an instructor and i will be getting a 'green' book tomorrow. highland games here and i will go oogle the pipers.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
North Idaho Piper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepha View Post
LOL i do have an instructor and i will be getting a 'green' book tomorrow. highland games here and i will go oogle the pipers.
Ummmm.... don't you mean you will ogle the PIPES?
“For some the Highland pipe is a serious instrument, to be played with skill and care and to consume a lifetime in its study ... but to me, it’s even more important than that - it is life itself.” PM Bruce Campbell
North Idaho Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
stepha

yup, the pipes.