Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
MSG_T
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Beginner 2/4 4 Part March

Trying to figure out what a good Grade 4 2/4 4 parted March would be to start off with. I have been thinking of: The Battle of Tamai, Miss Delicia Chisholm or Siege of Delhi. Any suggestions? I am a Grade 4 Beginner and just need to find a basic 2/4 4 parted March, one that i can do well as a Grade 4 but still play as a Grade 3. Thanks
MSG_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
hooks
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Beginner 2/4 4 Part March

I may be biased coming from down under but why not try "The Australian

Ladies". (P 104 Scots Guards Book 1 ).

David
hooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Richard Mao

Go for one tune for grade IV and learn another tune for Grade III.

the odds are a grade III tune will be too heavy for a grade IV beginner and you'll never do well... and develop bad habits...

and in Grade III even competing with a good grade iv tune will not stack up well when all your competitors are presenting tunes of higher level of difficulty...

you're talking two different seasons/years anyway...

If you are truly a beginner... does your area do novice grades?...

If you're competing with a grade iv tune... it would be best to have an instructor guide you....giving you constant feedback.... making sure execution, timing, expression, and phrasing are correct.... before you set bad habits in your fingers...

best wishes...

Richard Mao, The Peking Piper.

ps... Siege of Delhi, and Delicia Chisholm are both nice for grade IV... I'm not familiar with the other one. r.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
olypiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Choose a tune that plays to your strengths, for example, if you have trouble with taroluaths, stay away from tunes like 79th Farewell to Gibraltar. Remember that a simple tune played well is always going to do better than a more complicated one with mistakes. As Richard mentioned, it would be better to evolve with your tune choices through the grades. You may spend 3 years or longer in one grade, and after playing that tune in 30 competitions, say, you may be ready to move on to something else. Another couple you might look at are Prince Charles' Welcome to Lochaber by Peter MacLeod, and Liberton Boys Pipe Band. Best of luck in your contests!
Old 09-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
Steve397
Forum Regular

I've never found Australian Ladies, although a great tune, all that easy to play well. I played Prince Charles Welcome to Lochaber for my first competition tune. 51st at Wadi Akarit also worth a look.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Masterspark
Forum Regular

I chose Atholl and Breadlebane Gathering. Delicia Chisolm was my second choice.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
Kaislee
Forum Regular

Personally I'd be inclined to look at RSPBA's MAP list, choose a few from there & then get the relevant sheet music for the 4 parts.

My personal favorite would have to be Men of Argyll, namely since its so underplayed in competition.
Kaislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Captain Norman Orr Ewing is a good one.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
MSG_T
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Thank You All for your suggestions. And YES, Richard, I do have a Very Good Bagpipe Teacher, i just wanted to hear the input of everyone else. I just had my first competition this past weekend as a Grade 4 Piobaireachd, I played the Urlar and Var I or The Munro's Salute...did pretty well too. But I do tend ot lean on Delicia Chisolm. The Song just kind of speaks to me. I prefer the songs that are NOT that common, just me, hahahaha, must be the Military in me- I've always taken the Hard trail rather than the sidewalk. But i think it shows diversity in playing. Man I love this Site
MSG_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
Richard Mao

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG_T View Post
<snipped> But I do tend ot lean on Delicia Chisolm. The Song just kind of speaks to me. I prefer the songs that are NOT that common, just me, hahahaha, must be the Military in me- I've always taken the Hard trail rather than the sidewalk. But i think it shows diversity in playing. Man I love this Site
For competition.... present the tunes that speak to you.... tunes that have gracings/executions you do well at...

For personal development... and keeping your interest.... find (or get suggestions for) OTHER tunes that are not that common.... and tunes that have movements/gracings/technically challenging parts (at your level)... and master them at home.... don't present anything to a judge until you've mastered the challenging tune... don't present it if you will obviously show you are still challenged by parts of it/them...

get your instructor to use these teaching tunes to raise your standard of playing.... it will be fun for both you and your instructor.

cheers

Richard Mao, The Peking Piper