Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #21
Tripp
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Beginner 2/4 4 Part March

P/M J. McWilliams is a brilliant tune but you'd be mental to try it in G4. You want to have a tune that you are very comfortable with on the boards. Don't try to impress the judge by attempting some big test piece. Focus on a grade appropriate tune and show 'em that you've mastered the basics (tone, technique) and for bonus points express the tune well. If you do all three, you're going to be in the prizes most of the time (if not every time) at that level.

Denver Bagpipe Lessons Skype Bagpipe Lessons
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #22
CampbelGal
Forum Member

Try "The Atholl and Breadalbane Gathering"... It can be a bit challenging, but not too bad. Nice tune to start out with!
CampbelGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #23
Kirby Allen
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbelGal View Post
Try "The Atholl and Breadalbane Gathering"... It can be a bit challenging, but not too bad. Nice tune to start out with!
I would avoid atholl breadalbane, there are too many places in the tune to mess up and it's very easy to do in a tune thats so heavy with embellishment. It might be a good grade 3 tune, but a simple but melodic tune is what you should have in mind in grade 4.

Tapaderr

http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/
Kirby Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #24
CampbelGal
Forum Member

[QUOTE=Kirby Allen;1212073]I would avoid atholl breadalbane, there are too many places in the tune to mess up and it's very easy to do in a tune thats so heavy with embellishment. It might be a good grade 3 tune, but a simple but melodic tune is what you should have in mind in grade 4.

Maybe... The main issues are the tourluath and birl at the end. As long as you have these down pat you'll do fine. My instructor had me use Atholl & Breadalbane as my first comp 2/4... Placed 2nd in a field of 9 pipers last month with a fairly clean score sheet, so it can be done!
CampbelGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:09 AM   #25
Adam Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby Allen View Post
I would avoid atholl breadalbane, there are too many places in the tune to mess up and it's very easy to do in a tune thats so heavy with embellishment. It might be a good grade 3 tune, but a simple but melodic tune is what you should have in mind in grade 4.

Tapaderr
Atholl & Breadalbane Gathering is highly recommended over here as a beginner's first competition march. If I remember right, it was given to me as just that, Scots Guards setting. I believe it's also in the RSPBA Map list of band tunes for Juvenile Novice, 4A and 4B grades, so there's a lot to say for it as a first grade 4 tune.
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote