Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #1
Tom1136
Forum Member

Default Piping for a Police Graduation...

I've been asked to play at a local graduation ceremony for our police department, about 10 graduates and I was wondering if anyone had any suggested tunes beyond Scotland the Brave. Maybe in an Irish direction? Thanks, Tom W.
Tom1136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
sooty piper
Forum Regular

Default Re: Piping for a Police Graduation...

I have always favored "Uphold the Right" for such an event. Bill Gilchrist composed "The Thin Blue Line" for our band's duty in D.C during Police Week a few years back. It's a good tune, too.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Tom1136,

First... congratulations on your being chosen to
play this fine engagement!! Well done!!

I have played many of these... as well as for various
Fire Departments... and it is always a joy to be able
to help send them off and into their careers in style!!

One of my favorites for these occasions has always
been "The Minstrel Boy" ... as it has a grand lift to it.

Another one... from the Engineers... is "Wings."

A third would be "The Dawning of the Day."

The 1st and 3rd are Irish... though "Wings" is MoD.

The Best of Good Fortune with your engagement!!

Pip01
Old 05-14-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Hyperpiper1
Forum Silver Medal

Hi Tom !

Over the years, I have made it a tradition with our police graduations to march them into morning colors with "God Bless America" - both they, their instructors, and friends and family seem to really like it.

After that - depending upon the weather - the class generally marches out to either the parade field or to the auditorium, where a wide range of tunes are appropriate end enjoyed.

Cheers and God bless ~

Hyperpiper 1
Old 05-15-2015, 05:09 PM   #5
BigJ1632
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Done several of these myself, both for my Department and for others. As far as my Department goes, we like Green Hills of Tyrol for the ingress. We try and play tunes that are recognizable, and like it or not most everyone has heard Scotland the Brave. Minstrel Boy is a good choice. We also play Garry Owen at another agency's request as they are partial to that tune.

Perhaps speak with the Academy CO and see if they have any requests. At the end of the day, any march will do.
BigJ1632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:20 PM   #6
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

A band I used to play with always did the academy graduations for a local force, and they always insisted that we play Scotland The Brave, and nothing else. These were big classes, and we'd have to play it, it seemed like, twenty times in a row for all the graduates to come forward.

For God Bless America, I'm sick to death of hearing pipers mangle that potentially beautiful tune. I wish pipers would either play the right notes, or play something else that they can play right.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #7
Reed
Forum Regular

I'm a 23 year veteran serving line cop, and I pipe for police and fire functions. Unfortunately these are mainly sorrowful, somber memorials. I think that an academy graduation for most new cops is a happy time, and one to be remembered long after it's passed. I very much remember my academy graduation like it was yesterday.

So, with that in mind anything from the light music category can be performed. Why not, I say! A nice medley with an assortment of marches, jigs, hornpipes, strathspeys, 6/8's and so on would be fine. I wouldn't worry that the audience knows the tunes or not. They will react more to the manner in which the music is played, and its effect on their spirits rather than an immediately recognizable tune or melody. I agree that Minstrel Boy is good one to use. I strongly doubt that the "COPS" TV show theme can be done on the pipes.

First off though, I would consult with whoever is in charge and ask if they have any requests. Certainly having to play STB for 20 minutes would be redundant to say the least. I would avoid that if at all possible. I would also avoid playing any slow aires that bring to mind memorials of any kind and the like. Keep it light, keep it upbeat regardless of what tunes you choose to perform.

Reed
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:49 PM   #8
Steven_Riesenberg
Forum Regular

Processional:

Marine Corps Hymn / Caissons

-or-

The Sands of Kuwait

-or-

At Long Last / Dawning of the Day

Recessional:

If STB/Rowan Tree/Wings somehow won't do...

Ode to Joy
Steven_Riesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:49 AM   #9
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
A band I used to play with always did the academy graduations for a local force, and they always insisted that we play Scotland The Brave, and nothing else. These were big classes, and we'd have to play it, it seemed like, twenty times in a row for all the graduates to come forward.

For God Bless America, I'm sick to death of hearing pipers mangle that potentially beautiful tune. I wish pipers would either play the right notes, or play something else that they can play right.
When I play God Bless America, I play the high B ( and why not medley it with Grand old Flag and I'm A Yankee Dooddle Dandy for an up-beat, recognizable, patriotic American set?)

Last edited by Klondike Waldo; 05-16-2015 at 03:54 AM.
Klondike Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:17 AM   #10
Tom1136
Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. Some great suggestions.
Tom
Tom1136 is offline   Reply With Quote