Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
DuncanPiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default New Armstrong bagpipes?

So I decided I was going to go look at Chris Armstrong's drone reeds website since I still never really looked into them at all, and i noticed he sells his own line of bagpipes, does anybody have any experience with these? I searched the forums for a review but found nothing. So if anybody has any experience with his line of pipes or knows a little bit about them could you please share your knowledge/experience? They sound like a really good set of pipes, but thats just a recording (on youtube btw) and they look amazing. But a recording and hearing them in person often makes a big difference.

Tyler,
DuncanPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: New Armstrong Bagpipes?

My understanding is they are made by Wallace Bagpipes and don't adhere to bore specs of any other known maker. Whether the latter is true or not, I don't know.

I've not heard a set in person, but that's because they were just announced within the last month or so.
Jim Fogelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Why not contact Chris himself? I have found him to be very willing to chat about his products.

Randy
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #4
hoohoodragon
Forum Clasp

Chris' line of bagpipes just launched a month ago at the Piping Live! Festival in Glasgow, so it's understandable that there's not much collective experience with these bagpipes so far.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheHoohoodragon | Rampant Lion Pipe Band - http://www.rlpb.org
hoohoodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Since his drone reeds are why you went to the site, they are quite good. VERY stable. Good tone.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
Austin Diepenhorst
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via Yahoo to Austin Diepenhorst

I got to play Chris's personal set at piping live when I was over this year. Great pipe for sure!
Austin Diepenhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

I have spoken with Chris about the pipes a lot while he was putting them together for sale. I asked him about the bores, whether or not they are based off of anything previously or if they were new, and he said that they are very much completely new design. They obviously function within normal bagpipe parameters but they are not copies of any known set of bagpipe bores that have been produced prior to this. He is also quite proud of the unique bells on the pipes which give them a very distinct projection and blend.

All this being said, I haven't played a set at all. I think Chris has had some very encouraging results from pipers and judges all over where he has competed and recital'd
Old 12-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
Howard S.
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Armstrong ABM3 pipes 12/21/16
My Armstrong pipes arrived in good shape. I did sticks and stocks because I have lots of highland supplies in my bunker. Upon inspection, the ABM3s are a full imitation ivory set with the color of the imitation ivory being slightly aged, but not dark yellow like old catlin. Plus theyíll stay like this. The website pictures depict color accurately. Fit and finish is excellent. I asked for a 9Ē blowpipe and Chris had his folks cut me a shorter blowpipe with a 4 Ĺ mouthpiece for a nice balanced look. The bores and inner stocks are polished to mirror finish. I took bore sizes and they are similar to some early Robertsonís. Mid-bass was .410 and the lower bass and tenors are .314. Chrisís website goes into detail about the many sets of great pipes they tried before settling on the current bore sizes. I found this to be interesting, and he got it right.
After I got everything put together, I tried a variety of drone reeds and chanter reeds and itís time consuming and exhausting breaking in reeds to give them a fair chance. After a few days I settled on some Kinnaird evolutions and a G1 for a chanter reed. The pipes just kept getting better and better each day. Iím pleased to report that Chris Armstrongís pipes have a stunning harmonic thatís hypnotic. The chanter is going great with no tape. Iíve ordered some X-treme drone reeds to try also. This is going to be fun. These pipes are keepers, not all pipes are.
Howard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:06 AM   #9
DNorwood
Forum Regular

Price seems very good as well. I look forward to hearing these.
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:41 AM   #10
Pipe Minor
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanPiper View Post
So I decided I was going to go look at Chris Armstrong's drone reeds website since I still never really looked into them at all, and i noticed he sells his own line of bagpipes, does anybody have any experience with these? I searched the forums for a review but found nothing. So if anybody has any experience with his line of pipes or knows a little bit about them could you please share your knowledge/experience? They sound like a really good set of pipes, but thats just a recording (on youtube btw) and they look amazing. But a recording and hearing them in person often makes a big difference.

Tyler,
I won a set just before Christmas. Still Experimenting with drone reeds but overall, not disappointed with them. Bold sound and they tune easily and they go well with various drone reed combinations. Just looking for the best combination I can get out of them.