Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
marinus
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Bellows connector hose problem

Good day.
I recently purchased two of the rubber bellows connector hoses sold by Na Piobairi Uilleann. Several people recommend them and I do like their flexibility. However, I have no idea how they work. They are way too big for both the brass tubing on my bellows, and for the wood connections on the pipes. The difference is too big to be made up with hemp. I know these connections are not universal, but I was hoping they would be close. I'd like to use these hoses because I like their flexibility, but I need some advice to get them to work for me I guess.

I know a lot of you will say to get the vinyl tubing from the hardware store, but that is precisely what I am trying to move away from.

I have Ray Sloan smallpipes and Garvie borders.
marinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
wheels2onfire
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Bellows connector hose problem

I used a piece of vinyl tubing over the bag connector. I found a size with an ID that fits tightly over the bag connector with an OD that will accommodate the hose. This might work on the bellows side too. I roughed up the outside of the vinyl so it would hold the hose better.
wheels2onfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #3
RonSchlie
Forum Regular

I've been using c-pap tubing for years on my Hope bellows. It's very flexible and is easily cut to length. The ID is around 5/8" but if heated up under hot water it stretches. The downside to this tubing is that it wears out after a month or two of daily use. If you buy the tubing in 10 ft. lengths it will last you for years (Amazon or medical supply sites) I've also tried vinyl and hard rubber tubing. It works, but I don't like the stiffness across my chest. If you know anyone with a wood or metal lathe they might be able to make odd size adapters for you. I made my own on my ShopSmith lathe.
Good Luck
Old 12-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
Michael Ufford
Forum Member

I found this rubber heater hose on-line from the UK. It seems to be very similar if not identical to the hose that came on my McCallum smallpipes, and matches the 17 mm inside and 24 mm outside diameter. The picture makes the rubber look thicker.

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...es-heater-hose
Michael Ufford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:38 AM   #5
will103
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ufford View Post
I found this rubber heater hose on-line from the UK. It seems to be very similar if not identical to the hose that came on my McCallum smallpipes, and matches the 17 mm inside and 24 mm outside diameter. The picture makes the rubber look thicker.

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...es-heater-hose
Hi Michael, I use the same stuff for my connecting hose. Works very well. All the best for Christmas and the New Year, Will
will103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:55 AM   #6
Michael Ufford
Forum Member

Thanks for the info Will. You have a good holiday too.
Michael Ufford is offline   Reply With Quote