Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-22-2018, 08:23 AM   #1
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Plethora of G1 reed styles

G1 reeds now lists several makes of reed beyond their G1 platinum reed: copper staple, Bb, and A.

https://www.g1reeds.com/product-cate...reeds-chanter/

Does anyone have any insight into how these reeds perform differently from the standard G1 platinum reed?

Yes, I asked them directly via email. Their response was that they're all made about the same (but finished differently, whatever that implies I don't know) but Bb reeds help Bb chanters play truer to concert pitch, the same for the "key of A" reed.

Of course, this didn't really answer all of the questions I asked in my email so I'll try again, but in the meantime...

What I'm curious about is how these reeds are different than the standard G1 platinum and how they perform in standard chanters, not Bb or A chanters.

They must be different somehow, and can that difference be leveraged to perform better in standard chanters against various environmental conditions?

Thanks for your insight.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Plethora of G1 reed styles

To follow up, their second reply states the reeds would be "flatter overall and more notably flatter on high G."

I certainly hope so! Though they recommended Bb reeds, I have an A chanter that is tough to reed that I'd like to try their A reeds in, and I'll also give them a go in a standard chanter.

Those of us in the parched Southwest USA long battle against sharp high G. It doesn't matter the reed and none of the manipulations that have ever been suggested work. I honestly don't think people realize how sharp high G gets when the relative humidity is VERY low. Yes, it's winter and the relative humidity is low everywhere...

Oddly enough, John Elliott (Canada) makes border pipe reeds (A 440 reeds if you will) and the harder strength work fantastic as easy highland pipe reeds. The high G is in perfect tune with no tape! However, I have yet to convince him to make harder versions.

When I saw these G1 key of A reeds, I figured, ah snap, maybe these will do the trick!

Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote