Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-08-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Highland pipes in G

If you don't follow the blog or the other-pipes subforum further down the Dunsire forum main page, I've been messing around with tuning the drones to G instead of the standard A (and making the necessary changes to the chanter to tune against G drones instead of A drones).

I've tried approaching a few pipe makers about making a dedicated chanter, but so far have had no success.

I hope you enjoy my latest recordings.

Seth Hamon's Gamble & Paddy Cronin's:

http://www.patrickmclaurin.com/wordp...dy_cronins.mp3

Kitty Lie Over & Ulverston Volunteers:

http://www.patrickmclaurin.com/wordp...volunteers.mp3
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-09-2018, 06:20 AM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Highland pipes in G

That's crying out for a couple of keys to give you a low F and E. Sounds great. I wonder if the bell holes could be reconfigured to be a single forward facing hole to make the tone more consistent; it works against A but it's very noticeable against the G drone.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
Conrad84
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I'm a big fan of Paddy Cronin's and have added your standard GHB-friendly setting to my band's new medley.

Of custom chanters, not knowing who you've asked, I wonder if you'd consider folks who make other kinds of pipes? This fellow lists highland pipes along with several others: http://www.varropipemaker.com/new/?lang=en

Maybe someone who's every chanter is custom made would be interested in a project like this.

There also Petr Skalicky (find him on facebook), maybe worth considering.
Conrad84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:05 AM   #4
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Crazy cool ... as per usual.

Thanks Patrick!
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
LloydB
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
If you don't follow the blog or the other-pipes subforum further down the Dunsire forum main page, I've been messing around with tuning the drones to G instead of the standard A (and making the necessary changes to the chanter to tune against G drones instead of A drones).
[snipped
1) I like it -- sounds a bit medieval

2) My 11-yr-old 'puppy', sitting next to me, didn't
even flinch. That's high canine praise, I'd imagine.
She hears things I cannot, and objects to recorded,
standard GHB... gives me a dirty look & occasionally
leaves the room.)

3) On the Leidseplein, Amsterdam, a trio of German
pipers performed, in the 1980's, who tuned to a much
lower fundamental. It's impossible for me to say if
it was orchestral A or something else, but the
harmonics were superb.

(Perhaps there's a dudelsackspieler among us who can
tell us the tuning?)

Please post more tunes, and let us know if you have
success with your chanter project.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
Kenton Adler
Holy smoking keyboard!

That's a pleasant sound, Patrick. It does sound more like a Medieval pipe of some sort, or the smallpipe setting on the Degerpipe (which is what I prefer when I practice with it).

I've also talked with a pipe maker about what it would take to make baritone drone for a GHB. That might go nicely with that sound as well.

K

For best results - PLAY LOUD
Kenton Adler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #7
RW58
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Try Douglas MacPherson. He makes his own pipes and does things outside the box.
RW58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #8
bwbees0
Forum Member

Hi Patrick,

Wow, that is a rich sound!

Thanks for sharing that!

Ben
bwbees0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #9
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
That's crying out for a couple of keys to give you a low F and E. Sounds great. I wonder if the bell holes could be reconfigured to be a single forward facing hole to make the tone more consistent; it works against A but it's very noticeable against the G drone.
What specifically do you notice about the tone that is inconsistent? Volume of the low G?

Keys would be cool, though even without them most of the repertoire gained is from the extra note at the top of the scale (high A at the top of a low G to high G scale) instead of the extra note at the bottom of the scale we already have (low G at the bottom of a low A to high A scale). But I'm quite certain I'm preaching at the choir, but I wasn't about to pass up the opportunity to explain a bit more for the benefit of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad84 View Post
Of custom chanters, not knowing who you've asked, I wonder if you'd consider folks who make other kinds of pipes?
Great idea and thanks for the names/links! We've also added Paddy Cronin's to our band's repertoire. I had the band learn it by ear on one of our smallpipe days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
Crazy cool ... as per usual.
Cheers Nate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydB View Post
1) I like it -- sounds a bit medieval

Please post more tunes, and let us know if you have
success with your chanter project.
I'm glad you and your pup like it, or at least not bothered by it. Regarding orchestral A, since the highland pipes are transposing anyway (what we call A isn't everyone else's A 440 Hz), if we actually use a sharper chanter to push what we call low A all the way up to 494 Hz (concert B), this chanter actually becomes an A 440 chanter in that the note we call low G is actually concert A 440 Hz. The final result being you actually have an A major chanter with scale: A B C# D E F# G# A high B. And tuning modern drones to an A 440 Hz reference is already a thing.

I've already got a whole tune book dedicated to collecting tunes to be played on this type of chanter. No new technique is needed, though low G based embellishments become much less important since a lot of things resolve to low G. You can find the free tune book on my website here:

http://www.patrickmclaurin.com/wordpress/?page_id=3243

Look for the G major chanter tunebook. And there's no doubt I'll keep adding to it and recording my efforts. I won't lie that I hope other people find the project worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton Adler View Post
That's a pleasant sound, Patrick. It does sound more like a Medieval pipe of some sort, or the smallpipe setting on the Degerpipe (which is what I prefer when I practice with it).

I've also talked with a pipe maker about what it would take to make baritone drone for a GHB. That might go nicely with that sound as well.
I'm glad to hear you think it sounds pleasant. It's weird to retrain one's ear to listen for tuning low A to a different drone. I think that's where the Medieval sound comes from.

I have toyed with baritone drones before. I think all it took was the right bass bottom, bass reed, and tenor top to get a D. Though I know some have a tenor mid section custom made. I actually have another highland pipe with drones tuned to C to play along with a newly acquired gaita chanter, so I guess I could use a C baritone, though it will sound even darker. I have a smallpipe implementation as well and I play it against C smallpipe drones that have a G baritone, except I've tuned the C tenor and bass up to D instead because the D give a brighter, happier sound: DGd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW58 View Post
Try Douglas MacPherson. He makes his own pipes and does things outside the box.
I haven't asked Doug yet. He seemed to me to focus on bespoke drones (having purchased a set in the past). But, never hurts to ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbees0 View Post
Wow, that is a rich sound!

Thanks for sharing that!
Cheers Ben, and you're welcome!

Last edited by Patrick McLaurin; 02-11-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #10
Peter.Bailey.Bagpiper
Forum Member

Sounds great. I love that deep sound.

I wonder if someone like Julian Goodacre would be up for making you a G chanter - maybe even keyed!

He makes all sorts of non GHB pipes and is the madman behind Callum Armstrong's triple chanter, among other significant custom works.

http://goodbagpipes.com/