Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-23-2018, 08:12 PM   #11
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: What *interesting* drone reed *COMBOS* work well in your pipes (and why)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teuchter46 View Post
In Grainger & Campbells (1976) Xtreme tenors, Kinnaird Evo bass

In a friend’s Kintails that I was setting up,against a MacLellan Senior reed for a learner: Selbie tenors, Henderson Harmonic bass really brought them to life despite the low, low playing pressure.To the point where it was quite hard to give them back to him.

In Naills: full set of Xtremes...with putty in the tuning screws. Obvious combo maybe but very good sound.
The x-treme tenors are very good. I find them similar to Ezee but with a tad less ring, so I'm not surprised they go well with a Kinnaird bass.

I find the Selbie tenors with Henderson bass interesting. I imagine it might be tenor dominant, but I wouldn't bet on it. I enjoy setting up other people's instruments. You can always get new and different sounds out of different pipes and its fun to hear new drones.

Since x-treme reeds preceded Chris' x-treme pipes, and that he played Naill pipes before then (I think), it makes a lot of sense that they would go well. I turned a fellow band player onto an x-treme bass for his Naills after swapping through other brands for years. He's playing Crozier carbon V1 tenors which are buzzy, but with the big x-treme bass the sound is very rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGaidar View Post
I play a pretty typical set of old Lawries (small-bored tenors, cannon for a bass), and so I use long Ezee tenors
and a Balance Tone High Resonance bass.........Tone a mile wide.
A good bass reed really makes a pipe. I hear good things about the BT high resonance bass (and tenors) but haven't tried one myself as I'm swooning over the x-treme bass at the moment. Ezee tenors are great for getting a little ringing, I bet it all sounds quite good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
I just competed with Ezeedrone tenors and Kinnaird Evo bass in my Robertson drones. Got great compliments and the tuning as rock solid.
I've always played Canning (carbon fiber bass) in Robertson drones when I had the chance to play a set. But the classic Kinnaird/Ezee surely works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebagpipes View Post
Sometime soon I want to pick up a set of the X-tremes to try out in the Naills and Hendersons.
I would highly suggest picking up at least the x-treme bass. I've found the Henderson bass to be a good sounding reed and also very smooth, but not as deep. The x-treme bass is deep and rich and lays an excellent foundation to pile some ringing tenors on top of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenpipe View Post
J&R Glen McGillivray-Doucet Repros Redwood tenors and Kinnaird Evo bass

The bass gives good volume, and the Redwoods seem to be a bit more refined in sound and and blend well with the bass.

I have all Redwoods in an old ebony John Center set which give a beautiful mellow overall sound. I have wondered why Redwoods seem to have disappeared from the market.
I really like the tone of Redwood tenors, bold but not busy or buzzy. I haven't had much luck with the bass reed save in the Sinclair I first mentioned where it's the best reed ever! I don't know much about Center pipes, but glad to hear the bass works in another set. I have anecdotal evidence that Center's are popular in Brittany, so perhaps that's why the redwood work well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGaidar View Post
Re: Redwood being uncommon, if my set, purchased in 2017, are indicative of the current product, their design is severely flawed and quality control lacking. The bridles are not even remotely sufficient to secure the tongues, the air inlet is way too large, and the tenors were ostensibly mismatched. I could get everything calibrated, but it was a critically unstable setup that gulped air like you wouldn't believe. Some have had good experiences with Redwood, but I think there's a good reason my instructor had never heard of them
As mentioned above in several posts by others, the redwood bass is troublesome for many. I have talked to several people with issues but when you bring it up with Xavier apparently he has also talked to many who don't have issues; so we obviously aren't talking to the same people. I got the same response from another reed maker and a chanter maker, I experience and hear one thing from my contacts, they another. So, these products are the way they are, and not likely to change. I wonder if not addressing the bass reed is hampering the adoption of his reeds?

I will say when I first received my Redwoods, I sent Xavier a note about how there was a gap between the inside of the bridle and the tongue, the bridle didn't hug the tongue like it does on every other drone reed. He said the gap was supposed to be there. Perhaps this addresses your concern about how secure the tongues are. I haven't encountered problems with matching the reeds or efficiency, though mine are several years old. I believe the tenors are solid reeds. I don't suppose you ever attempted a DYI bridle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
In my band pipes (Soutar) I have Redwood tenors and standard Kinnaird bass.

In my solo pipes (J&R Glen) I have Crozier Omega tenors with a Highland Reeds bass. I don't remember why I replaced the Crozier with the Highland, but I must have thought it as an improvement ;-)

I have a third set (plastic McCallum) for foul conditions and it has Kinnaird tenors with a Kinnaird Evolution bass.
Those all sound like very good combos to me! I don't have any experience with Highland Reeds...reeds, you are referring to Balance Tone, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graineag View Post
I used a set of Redwoods off and on for several years ........ The tenors really made the most of my otherwise unextraordinary early-90s Hardies.

When I got back into playing more and got my Lawrie drones, I found the tenors to be very lively, harmonic, and easy to tune. The bass sounded a bit better as well, but sometimes roared on strike-ins. The one minor drawback of these drones is that they can be finicky about bass reeds. I quickly switched to a Kinnaird bass. I remember this being a very nice combination. Then one of the tenors began leaking air, so I switched to using Kinnaird Evo reeds (sometimes with Ezee tenors, boring I know) soon after.
How do you classify leaking? Do you suck on the end if see if any air gets past the tongue? Or perhaps I wonder if the o-ring on the plug got old and cracked? Maybe some teflon to tighten it up a bit? I think I put teflon on my redwood plugs at one point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Knife View Post
Canning tenors with Kinnaird base = great sound in the SL4 McCallum.
Canning tenors...in the MacRae.....you don't say. And what about those Breadalbanes? Bread and butter Ezee tenors and a Kinnaird bass?

I've got Canning tenors in my Glencoe pipes, but I'm also using the Canning carbon fiber bass for a powerful sound, but that's not really a combo

Last edited by Patrick McLaurin; 06-23-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-24-2018, 05:02 AM   #12
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

Default Re: What *interesting* drone reed *COMBOS* work well in your pipes (and why)?

The responses here are indeed interesting. And Thanks for your comments, Patrick. It's hard to recall the choices when I started 40 years ago: cane, cane or cane, and then the synthetic reeds came on the market. Revolution indeed. Of the early makes, it seems that only the Ezeedrones have stayed the course.
Today's choices are myriad, but I have kept to the few makes I mentioned, and, like you, keep a full set of Cannings that came in the 2005 Kron Heritge pipes I have, even if it's not so "interesting".
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:51 AM   #13
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

Patrick: No, I did not attempt a DIY bridle on the Redwoods. I may try to do so, but I'm pretty happy with my current setup, which, in reality, is shifting towards long Ezee tenors with a long Ezee standard bass. As much as I like the BT HR bass, it isn't very pressure-stable, at least not in my Lawries or Naills. The Ezees (at least in my Lawries) are steady as can be all around, to the point that I can easily dial them in to the point where I find myself checking to see if all three drones are going. The full BT set would never really settle, and with just the bass, I was still fiddling about more than I like.

The Ezees produce a nicely-textured, very broad sound that is easy to tune and keep tuned - considerably more so than any of the reeds I've tried (among them Canning and Omega). This is because Ezee, and the new Gibson drone reeds, are the only two synthetics I've tried which give off a fundamental which is stronger than any of the harmonics, which makes tuning a much less tedious affair. Ezee are full with nicely integrated harmonics, Gibson are mellower, but if I have them accurately calibrated and tuned dead-on, they give a nice, refined buzz off the top. Gibson are also the only drone reeds I found more than mediocre in my Naills, but again, they're pretty mellow, and I would really only use my ABW Naill chanter with them, as I strongly detest the all-too-common setup wherein the chanter drowns out the drones entirely.

Regardless, a fundamental-dominant tone comes off as bigger and broader, and is, most importantly, much easier to tune with greater accuracy. Some postulate this is due to a lack of "clues" to poor tuning, but I disagree: The fundamental is in a more optimal range for human hearing, so we're tuning something that we can hear easily vs. tuning something for which we have to really listen to hear at all.
MichiganGaidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:59 AM   #14
Mainebagpipes
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
I would highly suggest picking up at least the x-treme bass. I've found the Henderson bass to be a good sounding reed and also very smooth, but not as deep. The x-treme bass is deep and rich and lays an excellent foundation to pile some ringing tenors on top of.
I like the sound of that. The Henderson Deluxe is easily the deepest of the reeds I have on hand, and goes a long way towards elevating the sound of all three sets. If the X-Treme bass is a bit richer and deeper, I'm game. I'll see if I can get hold of one of Chris's bass reeds and give it a shot.
Mainebagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #15
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

If I recall correctly, in surveys by pipes/drums of top solo and I think band players, among those who didn't use all cane the odds on favourite tenor reeds were Ezeedrone. Often these were with a cane bass or some other synthetic make, but I don't remember anyone playing Ezee bass.
This, too, I find "interesting".
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #16
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenpipe View Post
If I recall correctly, in surveys by pipes/drums of top solo and I think band players, among those who didn't use all cane the odds on favourite tenor reeds were Ezeedrone. Often these were with a cane bass or some other synthetic make, but I don't remember anyone playing Ezee bass.
This, too, I find "interesting".
As do I. The Ezee bass is absolutely lovely in my Lawries, and is one of the few basses I can tune easily in my Naills. Fills out the sound nicely for reasons outlined in my post above.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #17
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have also heard that the Ezeedrone bass reed has resulted in vendors offering tenor reeds separately.

I have also heard numerous sentences including the words “Ezeedrone,” “bass,” and “crap.”

A fellow piper has lent me an ezeedrone bass reed that I am hoping to try out in conjunction with my Ezeedrone tenors. Maybe I’ll make some recordings and post them.

Charlie
Old 06-24-2018, 11:12 AM   #18
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

I love the Ezee inverted bass reeds, both the regular and Increased Absorption are fantastic in my Naills. I've tried several bass reeds in my Naills, only to come back to a regular, inverted Ezee bass. Great projection and tone without being buzzy.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #19
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I enjoy a standard Ezeedrone bass in my Kyos. Doesn’t take anything from the tenors for a lovely solo sound. Of course, then it’s Ezee across the board in the tenors too.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #20
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
I have also heard that the Ezeedrone bass reed has resulted in vendors offering tenor reeds separately.

I have also heard numerous sentences including the words “Ezeedrone,” “bass,” and “crap.”

A fellow piper has lent me an ezeedrone bass reed that I am hoping to try out in conjunction with my Ezeedrone tenors. Maybe I’ll make some recordings and post them.

Charlie
I'm starting to think that my use of an Ezee bass may be the most "interesting" choice of reeds in this whole thread.

Last edited by MichiganGaidar; 06-24-2018 at 12:40 PM.