Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-08-2019, 02:35 PM   #11
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Anyone know these pipes, wood? Maker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
I'm glad to hear they're sweet sounding pipes, but the quality of the turning doesn't seem up to Naill standards. In particular, I'm looking at the cord guides, the caps and the ferrules.
Exactly...lots of Pakistani sets can be made to sound decent with a good set of reeds..you can get lucky..I have a set myself that are not bad at all...but anyone who turned for Naill would not have made these...the seller put a bit of blarney in his sales pitch indeed...it is what it is.
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #12
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

I have to say that I don't know how much 'blarney' was used. Ross didn't 'sell' them to me, I chose them. I have never met Ross and this is the first time I have dealt with him but, speaking to him on the phone, he seems a real decent guy and he only told me the story of their origin when pressed and after I bought them. He didn't make any claims for them either prior to purchase. When I emailed him to say that I was really happy with the sound from them he said he had hoped I would like them as, in his opinion, they were a cracking set but he didn't like to 'big' up pipes and preferred to let the purchaser decide.
MacTallanambeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:59 PM   #13
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTallanambeann View Post

Now to the questions -

1. Ross at Source tells me that he believes they were made by a turner who formerly worked for Naill, does anyone know who this might be or does anyone recognise the pipes or their style?
Understood..it wasn't made clear when that conversation took place...if he wouldn't tell you why he believes that to be true or who the turner was then that's a red flag as to their provenance.. enjoy and play them with pride.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #14
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

Thanks, I do enjoy them very much. I have a set of modern Henderson PH01's that I took delivery of from Hardie's two weeks ago and a second hand set of Naill DN0's and these are easily on a par for sound and feel to me although all three have a different tone and feel to them that means I pick up a different set depending on what I feel like. These ones particularly like Piobaireachd and my own brand of 'freestyle' soulful oddness.

As to the story I can't swear to it but I believe that is simply what he was told by whoever he bought them from.

Last edited by MacTallanambeann; 08-08-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:40 AM   #15
Harley G
Forum Member

Take a sharp craft knife and see if you can lightly carve a chamfer on the inside bottom of one of the drones or the blowpipe. It will not damage anything and you will see straight away if it is ebony or not.

Wet one of the mount caps with pretty warm water and give it a good wipe. What colour came off the wood onto the cloth? Smell the mount while it is still wet and warm, cocobolo will smell a bit spicey?

It is unusual for a pipe maker to use such low contrasting material for the mounts and the flat combing is very inconsistent and uneven which sort of tells that the turner was in a hurry and not too concerned with detail.

We see alot of brass on tenons and lining the tenon cavity on Indian army pipes from around the war time. Still have a couple up at the farm I think.

The longitudinal grain cracks in the pictures is not consistent with ebony, even maccassa so scraping the inside of a drone stock should also reveal something.

Because cocobola is so toxic and such a good irritant we will not make anything new from it and my uncle is reluctant to even use it to make original repairs, unless you pay him plenty. I am not sure why he is so finiky because it is clear he is not going to want to have any more kids.

This is the information that the smartest person in this mob could glean from the pics. Could always try Dr Google.
Harley G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:09 AM   #16
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

You don't explain what I should be looking for in scraping the wood but I have actually reamed the bottoms of the drones to allow my reeds to seat deeper and the wood that I took out is of a fairly uniform chocolatey, dark grey/brown colour.

I had no idea that coco bolo was toxic.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #17
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley G View Post
This is the information that the smartest person in this mob could glean from the pics. Could always try Dr Google.
Thatís a bold statement considering people like Ringo and Jim McGillivray are regular contributors to this forum.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #18
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

I do have to say that I am somewhat sorry I asked about these pipes. All I really wanted to know was if anyone knew where they came from or who made them. I would even have been delighted if someone could have identified who made them so that I could thank them for a lovely set of pipes.I didn't expect them to be shredded by remote control and turned into what basically amounts to badly made firewood.

I don't even have basic knowledge of the wood turners art and, to be honest I can't really see any of the 'negatives' that have been picked on from my pictures - Sloppy combing, poorly finished cord guides etc. They look nice and unusual to me and, dare I say it, unique, even if 'rustic' and made by some rank amateur and they do the job of producing a nice droning sound to complement my 'definitely' D. Naill blackwood chanter.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:34 PM   #19
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTallanambeann View Post
I do have to say that I am somewhat sorry I asked about these pipes. All I really wanted to know was if anyone knew where they came from or who made them. I would even have been delighted if someone could have identified who made them so that I could thank them for a lovely set of pipes.I didn't expect them to be shredded by remote control and turned into what basically amounts to badly made firewood.

I don't even have basic knowledge of the wood turners art and, to be honest I can't really see any of the 'negatives' that have been picked on from my pictures - Sloppy combing, poorly finished cord guides etc. They look nice and unusual to me and, dare I say it, unique, even if 'rustic' and made by some rank amateur and they do the job of producing a nice droning sound to complement my 'definitely' D. Naill blackwood chanter.
If youíre happy with how they look and, more importantly, how they sound, then screw what other people say.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #20
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

Thanks Jim I appreciate that. I do have a fairly thick skin and a tendency to swim the opposite way from the crowd so I'm not too bothered just surprised how keen folks are to rip apart someone else's, quite possibly, pride and joy. In my other incarnations I have a collection of 5-string banjos, electric guitars and fiddles varying from dirt cheap to really rather expensive and I love the dirt cheap one's as much as I do the expensive ones because they were all bought on 'feel' for that certain something different rather than how much they cost.

It does seem that, at times round here, folks are ready and willing to declare anything without markings as 'Made in Pakistan' used in the manner of a put-down.

Last edited by MacTallanambeann; 08-09-2019 at 04:01 PM.