Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #21
Harley G
Forum Member

Default Re: Anyone know these pipes, wood? Maker?

Ebony is quite a brittle wood to machine and comb, I know that ABW comes off smooth while ebony is very chippy and does not peel off smoothly. This is why the combing on ebony can look a bit jaggy. If you reamed them you would have been able to smell the timber as well as see how oily and dark it is.

In a 1904 pipemakers article I have viewed the maker stated that if you have a great turner, use ebony or cocobolo, it your turner is not so good, use ABW. This was a reflection on the perception of sound quality and the ease of the timber to machine.

I meant my Mob here down at hillbilly hell, not the Mob in this forum. Sorry to the smart people in this forum for any offense caused.

I just showed the pics to one of our oldest turners and parroted it on what he told me, I wasn't trying to put some off their lunch.

Jim is right, screw 'em. My Dad made me a set of pipes different from any I have ever seen and I cop my share of criticism. They sound good to me and I love the way they look and feel. I have 6 ABW sets but always use my home made set in competitions and events.
Harley G is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #22
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

Well I have to say that the wood, at least at the drone reed end, is not very oily at all, in fact I think it is rather too dry as evidenced by the fact that I unfortunately managed to crack the blowpipe stock which I will need to have repaired or replaced. I didn't smell the wood at the time I was reaming it though and my sense of smell is pretty poor due to taking too many knocks to the hooter over the years. I do want to ream them a little further to gets the reeds in just a wee touch deeper so I will pay attention when I do that.

I don't do 'conventional' myself on the whole - I am currently having a set of pipes made that would send the purists into an apoplexy. My order is for African Blackwood Chalice tops with brass bushes and slides and projecting mounts made of a swirly blue-green/purple plastic. As I play mainly for myself these days what my pipes look like is not really an issue and is simply what I dig.

Last edited by MacTallanambeann; 08-09-2019 at 05:42 PM.
MacTallanambeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #23
Bob Harper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTallanambeann View Post
...projecting mounts made of a swirly blue-green/purple plastic...
At one time, I remember one of the makers having a selection of all types of plastic, mainly meant to simulate gemstones such as jade, garnet, etc. I'm toying with the idea of a set using antler - I like that look.
Bob Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #24
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

I think I vaguely remember this myself but I can't for the life of me think who it was. I was actually discussing with RG Hardie's the possibility of a 'system' being created whereby you could have interchangeable sets of mounts that you could screw onto permanently mounted threaded ferrules but they reckoned that it just wouldn't really be practical.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #25
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

You have to realize that if you post here asking for opinions on what you have, particularly if you invoke the name of a quality maker such as Naill, even in a roundabout way, then you are asking for the comments that you received...it's not realistic to claim the hurt feelings that you now profess..that's not how the instrument world works..this forum is littered with similar posts asking for ID comments and opinions from those who believe that they have a Pipe of a certain provenace when they turn out to be something different.. better that some have taken the time to give you an honest opinion and assessment of what you have...and that if in the future you decide to sell these pipes, that you don't perpetuate the clearly misinformed info that the seller imparted to you...regardless of when that conversation took place..it happens to guitar owners all the time...they think have bought a valuable Les Paul when in reality they are the now the proud owners of a Chinese copy.. if you like how the Pipes play and sound then bully for you..enjoy them..
Old 08-10-2019, 08:33 PM   #26
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
At one time, I remember one of the makers having a selection of all types of plastic, mainly meant to simulate gemstones such as jade, garnet, etc. I'm toying with the idea of a set using antler - I like that look.
That was Kintail...no longer in business.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #27
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

I have no intention of selling the pipes they were a gift from the missus, financial value is of no consequence and besides that I don't tend to sell any musical instrument once it crosses my threshold, as typically they become worth far more to me than whatever financial value they have for re-sale. I guess that's why I have a house full of all manner of musical instruments

All I was hoping was that someone here might actually recognise who made them whether it was an accredited maker or not I don't really care I just like history.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:38 AM   #28
NickTaitz
Forum Regular

Def not Pakistani - not sure how anyone could think that. Quality turning, obviously blackwood, and many wee Naill style touches. If you were told a Naill turner did these for a mate, I would find that quite plausible.
NickTaitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:03 AM   #29
DNorwood
Forum Regular

Perhaps you are too close to the subject and your skin is not as thick as you think.

From my perspective, and after reading all the comments, I see people being completely honest. Perhaps you didn't really want to hear or accept the comments with consideration of others different experiences and knowledge.

Social media is interesting and I always believe that a person shouldn't fish for comments and then get all huffy because all is not rainbows and puppies.

As said, enjoy your pipes. We'd love to hear a sound file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTallanambeann View Post

It does seem that, at times round here, folks are ready and willing to declare anything without markings as 'Made in Pakistan' used in the manner of a put-down.
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #30
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

Well I was genuinely only really interested in tracking down/verifying the wood and the origin/maker and, whoever the maker was, I think they did a damn good job at creating a nice, unusual and elegant set of tubes. I have no idea of what constitutes good or bad turning and so I can't speak with any authority but it looks OK to me and I do really rather like the simplicity of the combing combined with the Coco Bolo mounts.

I don't believe I was fishing for anything other than someone who could tell me where these pipes actually came from and, sadly, I have been unsuccessful in that to date.

I don't believe that the seller was in any way trying to dupe me and he certainly didn't rip me, or rather my wife, off. The price was very fair for an 'unattributed other than hearsay' set of pipes. They ain't ever leaving me and they tend to be the first set I pick up when I want to play (until the set I'm having made arrive anyway) so their 'story' only matters to me.