Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-01-2019, 01:37 AM   #1
Wulls

Default Rspba

OK..... rant time.
The esteemed RSPBA can always find time to fix things that arenít really broken ( MAP etc) but when things ARE broken it is blissfully ignored.
Talking about it being 9am the day after Cowal and still no results posted.
Couple that withthe website crashing every year at the worlds results you have to ask which century we are in.
These things are fixable.
Easily fixable.
Thoughts ?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2019, 05:56 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Rspba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulls View Post
OK..... rant time.
The esteemed RSPBA can always find time to fix things that arenít really broken ( MAP etc) but when things ARE broken it is blissfully ignored.
Talking about it being 9am the day after Cowal and still no results posted.
Couple that withthe website crashing every year at the worlds results you have to ask which century we are in.
These things are fixable.
Easily fixable.
Thoughts ?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just sayiní.... If the personnel charged with running the organization are volunteers ...unsalaried except expenses....the state of operational untidiness supports the old dictum of one getting only what one pays for.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:06 AM   #3
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

For minor contests, the responsibility lies with the organisers to get the info to the RSPBA. In the early days of the online results, it used to take weeks but most have now got the process pretty slick.

As for the annual website failure, the trouble with webhosting is you have to pick a country lane or a motorway. A country lane is fine for a few visits a day - but a motorway is expensive when you only get a motorway's worth of traffic once a year.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:12 AM   #4
Bob Harper
Forum Silver Medal

Removed Inaccurate

Last edited by Bob Harper; 09-01-2019 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Removed
Bob Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:34 AM   #5
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

That's true Calum ll but the one day you need the Motorway is the day when everyone turns up for your showpiece event, and you look like a bunch of amateurs in front of your biggest audience.

Surely the RSPBA could talk to someone that would sort temporary bandwidth or suck up the cost and provide Motorway speeds fultime and look at expanding what is a fairly basic website.

There is no reason why the RSPBA should be depending on Twitter for short clips when they can host them properly on their site and post links to twitter.

Paul.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:18 AM   #6
PiperBrad
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

100% - there are cloud hosting providers that will scale bandwidth when needed, either preemptively or automatically. They know the traffic is coming a few times a year and they should be able to plan for that accordingly.

A good overhaul of the website would be very helpful and I am sure a request to the pipe band masses will bring up many highly skilled IT experts who would be willing to take on a project like that with enthusiasm.

The twitter feed is at least a good step into the right direction, far from the closed door policies that have been around for years. There is hope still.

All this said from the comfort of my office, not getting my hands dirty trying to make a difference. Onward keyboard warriors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M Burke View Post
That's true Calum ll but the one day you need the Motorway is the day when everyone turns up for your showpiece event, and you look like a bunch of amateurs in front of your biggest audience.

Surely the RSPBA could talk to someone that would sort temporary bandwidth or suck up the cost and provide Motorway speeds fultime and look at expanding what is a fairly basic website.

There is no reason why the RSPBA should be depending on Twitter for short clips when they can host them properly on their site and post links to twitter.

Paul.
PiperBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:19 AM   #7
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Here with WUSPBA, it can take weeks or months for results to be posted online.

Iíd say RSPBA has their act together much better on that front.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:50 AM   #8
Wulls

I have been reliably informed that 1/ it is the local branch who inform the association of the results and the delay is down to them.
2/ the website does not crash ....it is taken down to allow uploading of the vast amounts of data the worlds results contains.
Not sure about no 2 but I can appreciate there is a lot of work in running a competition.
My point was (and still is) we can do better.......
Others in my wider social circle don't see it as a problem.
I suppose in the grand scheme of things it isn't a big issue.