Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-01-2004, 09:08 AM   #1
dagdaj
Forum Silver Medal

Default Totally "hosed"

Need some hose help.

Here's what I'm looking for.
The happy medium between the cheapy gym socks variety and they expensive hand knit variety.

I would like to find some hose with a little more bulk than the stuff that's all less than $20. The only problem is the next step is up to $50+. Sure they look great, but it's too much buck for the bang at the moment for the band.

Anybody know of anything in between? I've been through a lot of websites. There's a lot of gym socks and a lot of the generic popcorn top variety, but that's just a popcorn foldover on top of a slightly thicker gym sock.
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-01-2004, 09:11 AM   #2
JRM
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Totally "hosed"

Here's a thought.... Many years ago the band I belonged to got together, bought a whole bunch of yarn, picked a pattern, and asked all the kids grandmothers, mothers etc. to knit them. Cheap, custom made and looked good too.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:20 AM   #3
dagdaj
Forum Silver Medal

Yah....I've got the pattern...got the committment from two of the grandmas, but can't get any further. I figure we'd need 1.5 to 2 more committed knitters to make that happen. I'd love to do it, I just don't see it happening after talking with the two committed knitters.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:24 AM   #4
SerialKilter.
Holy smoking keyboard!

Dagdaj

I have friends, I have friends in landscaping, I have friends in Japanese Architectural design, I have friends in....anthropology..0)

No seriously, I have a lady that makes my hose. They are of the bulky nature with double protected heels. She charges 35 bucks. Infact, our band uses her.

once you send her a check with your measurements, her turn around time is about a week and half or so. Send me an email if your interested and I will reply with her contact info.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:31 AM   #5
Buffalo*Piper
Forum Clasp

while a normally advocate using forum sponsors (because of their support), you can find really nice piper hose at Piper\'s Hut for less than $30.00. i have several pair and they are quite nice.
thicker than gym socks - not as bulky as those expensive type.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:04 PM   #6
the fishiologist
Forum Clasp

we got the mother of one of our band members to knit all of ours - she did something like 20 pairs in about 3 weeks.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:12 PM   #7
Kevin Mcnamara
Forum Member

Here's an Idea - Soccer socks. I know that souns strange but if you want the bulk of knot and don't mind the solid colors its a real cheap alternative, and they don't fall down!
Old 10-01-2004, 12:14 PM   #8
Kevin Mcnamara
Forum Member

Sorry about the typos, fat fingers and keyboards fon't mix well!
Old 10-01-2004, 02:47 PM   #9
Kenton Smith
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally posted by Buffalo*Piper:
... you can find really nice piper hose at Piper's Hut ...
Much as I hate to have to say it... Caveat emptor!

I just now sent an e-mail to Piper's Hut, cancelling an order for a McCallum Practice Chanter I placed on 13 August. I have been in regular e-mail contact with Piper's Hut, but 23 e-mails and lots of (shaky, IMO) excuses later, I still haven't received shipment.

I had what was probably the beginning of a similar experience in May, when I ordered a set of Crozier drone reeds, but I cancelled that part of the order before things went too far. Even then, it took a couple months before I received the invoice I requested for the items shipped. (No invoice was included with the shipment.)

In addition, one of my students ordered a set of McCallum Bagpipes from Piper's Hut. They arrived somewhat later than promised, but, more importantly had a plastic chanter instead of the ABW one he ordered (and paid for). Promises notwithstanding, several weeks later he still hasn't received the ABW chanter, nor has he received any explanation of why it hasn't been sent. I've told him to keep the plastic chanter, tell Piper's Hut he wants a refund of the extra he paid for the ABW chanter, and hope for the best.

FWIW,
Ken
Old 10-01-2004, 04:00 PM   #10
Kenton Smith
Forum Silver Medal

More on topic, though...
Quote:
Originally posted by dagdaj:
...Here's what I'm looking for.
The happy medium between the cheapy gym socks variety and the expensive hand knit variety ...
Easily done. I recently bought a pair of Ribbed Hose by Gaelic Themes from Henderson Imports , in Traverse City, Michigan. They have them in lots of colors for about $26.00 US. They're 70% wool, 30% Nylon, Machine Wash Warm, Tumble Dry... It doesn't get better than that! They're exactly the weight you describe. On the turnover portion on the top there's a narrow band that has just the right amount of pattern to it. And they're really comfortable!

The service I received from Henderson couldn't have been better; I ordered them on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, and I had them the following Tuesday. amazing!

Hope that helps,
Ken