Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-18-2017, 12:04 PM   #91
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Hello all! Please accept my apology NOW.

LuxD,

Seeing as you're producing music, I am guessing that you use a digital audio workstation.

If you are, have a look at this virtual instrument:

http://www.boldersounds.net/index.ph...products_id=11

Maybe it'll do what you need without having to learn an already tricky instrument.

Charlie
Old 03-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #92
LuxD
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Short on time, but just a quick note to let you know I'll be starting bagpipe classes in a few weeks!
LuxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #93
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxD View Post
Short on time, but just a quick note to let you know I'll be starting bagpipe classes in a few weeks!

I think you'll maximize your piping potential with proper classes. I hope you enjoy them and become a regular forumite.

Charlie
Old 03-22-2017, 08:01 AM   #94
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Post #76, last line

Good stuff Lux....enjoy
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #95
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Yes! My new reed came in!

https://flic.kr/p/SrLWp3
Is that Higgins?
Old 03-24-2017, 07:48 PM   #96
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
Is that Higgins?
MacLellan. He uses red wrapping now. Another notable maker that switched to red recently is Sound Supreme
Old 03-30-2017, 01:14 PM   #97
dorothy
Holy smoking keyboard!

LuxD,
Good on ya for saving 25 cents on the rubber band. Now if you decide you need one, please ask your friendly neighborhood kid who wears braces for a few orthodontic bands, or you can order a pack of 100 from Amazon for $5.50 plus shipping.
They really are useful as bridles on practice chanter reeds, cane drone reeds, chanter reeds for the big pipes, or dreadlocks.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:53 AM   #98
Kenton Adler
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:

I think it's something you'll enjoy. I was a guitar player for about 30 years before I took up piping. It's the same sort of learning curve. Seems a bit slow at first, but the more time you put into it the more rapidly you progress. And once you start to get it you can make some noticeable improvement in a hurry. At least you don't have to build up callouses before it stops hurting to play on the practice chanter. I think you'll find that you have less trouble than the average piping student when it comes to doing some things because of the coordination you have from playing guitar. People used to tell me how hard it would be to play a D Doubling and it never gave me a bit of difficulty because of all the years of fretwork and my left hand just doing what I needed it to. Just go for slow and accurate right from the start. Speed is partially an illusion produced by clean execution of the movements.

K

For best results - PLAY LOUD
Kenton Adler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:25 AM   #99
dorothy
Holy smoking keyboard!

About those Rexine bags. Does anyone have experience with someone who has had success with them? Or again, are they just for looks?

FWIW, I had a student come in recently with what appeared to be a fairly well-made set of "pipes" made in Pakistan. I was able to get a sound out of the drones with EZs. The plastic reeds supplied were unworkable. The chanter was not too bad. I was able to get a scale with a different reed and some tape.

The Rexine bag was unacceptable. It was my first encounter with this sort of bag. They are a plastic imitation leather and do not require seasoning. Maybe they don't require seasoning because when you first use them you realize you need something different.

First problem: it did not hold air. I was going to address this issue with examining the tie-ins, the seam, etc., and noticed the
Second problem: the holes for the stocks were at right angles with each other! In other words, if you look at the bag head-on, the bass drone stock is at 3:00, the middle tenor is at noon, and the outside tenor is at 9:00. I am not making this up.

This inspection took about 15 minutes. Next time I look at the bag first. I advised him that since the cost of a new bag plus a real set of drone reeds would cost about what he paid for the pipes, he should cut bait and get a set from a reputable dealer.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:09 PM   #100
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes there lies the problem it cost more to make them semi serviceable than to but real pipes.

Perhaps a gortex bag or lather the seems on that one with a product called shoe goo amazing stuff and cheap to try. Might get you going!

But as you describe the stocks maybe not!

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink

Last edited by John Bolt; 03-31-2017 at 01:11 PM.
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote