Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Adult Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adult Pipers Related to Adult piping or pipers, this is the place.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
Ron Teague
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Piping after angiogram

How long should I wait to start piping after a cardiac angiogram? How long after a stent has been put in? I had this several decades ago but I have forgotten what the cardiologist said and I remember he looked at me funny and had to think about it for a bit. My cardiologist loves that I play the pipes as piping forces collaterals. Any ideas? St. Pat's is coming up and I have requests to play here and there

The Cheesy Piobaireachd Player
Ron Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: Piping after angiogram

Ron, it strikes me there's probably less danger in asking a cardiologist for piping advice, than there is in asking a bunch of pipers for cardio advice. Are there any Cardiologists on the forum?
Old 03-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
Ron Teague
Holy smoking keyboard!

OK here is what my cardiologist said. I can start piping 24 hours after the proceedure and that I need to pipe a lot to force collateral circulation

Old 03-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #4
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Teague View Post
....and that I need to pipe a lot to force collateral circulation
Surely a cardiologist after our own hearts
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:22 PM   #5
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
Ron, it strikes me there's probably less danger in asking a cardiologist for piping advice, than there is in asking a bunch of pipers for cardio advice. Are there any Cardiologists on the forum?
It's probably less dangerous (or controversial at least!) to ask a cardiologist for any sort of opinion on Piping than a piper! If it wasn't would this forum be so successful
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #6
Ron Teague
Holy smoking keyboard!

Well I have more info. I had bypass surgery 25 years ago with 4 grafts and then 4 stents and then 4 more. After the angiogram we found out that all of these have failed BUT I have terrific collateral circulation, forced formation of a lot of little arteries. So I won't have a heart attack. So what is the prescription? LOTS of piping. How much piping? At least two longish piobaireachd 4 times a week or perhaps one War or Peace which goes on forever. I don't get to take a break between tunes in one sitting. I just have to soldier on playing straight through. Piping it seems is keeping me alive. So I have to start increasing the strength of the chanter reed 'till I can play a gut buster reed without passing out or turning purple and drooling on myself. Ain't life fun. Well with this prescription the answer is YES!! I am worrying about my rocket drone reeds which are set for a softer chanter reed. I suppose I need to find other drone reeds which can stand up to a gut buster chanter reed. Any suggestions? I do have lots of other drone reeds including old Wynget reeds.

Last edited by Ron Teague; 03-13-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:00 AM   #7
jedburgh
Forum Regular

I just had some work done. Played the second leg of a little local competition and had trouble the next day. 2 1/2 weeks, 2 angios and 3 stents later, it was well into the time frame needed to almost get ready for the final phase of the competition.

The Cardiologist who did the stents didn't seem to have any concerns about piping so when I'd negotiated with the home front, I was back at it.

Give things enough time so your entry point (wrist or leg) has healed (I was instructed not to driver for 48 hours so used that as off time) and things should be OK. I made it to the final stage, managed the tunes well enough, but lacked a bit of stability. No problems.

There are always dangers in "testimonials" but neither my cardiologist nor internist seemed concerned about piping.

Jed
Old 03-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #8
Kevin
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedburgh View Post
SNIP...
There are always dangers in "testimonials" but neither my cardiologist nor internist seemed concerned about piping.
My concern with this is that your average cardiologist or internist isnt likely to have any clue how strenuous an instrument the GHB can be to play. I have heard (anecdotally from a piper with hypertension) that your blood pressure can become significantly elevated while playing and stay that way for hours afterwards.

The only better source for this type of info might be a cardiologist piper. Without access to one of those, I would suggest erring on the side of caution.

Good luck with your recovery,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
Ron Teague
Holy smoking keyboard!

Well both my primary care MD and the cardiologist work in the same building and both asked how much pressure I blow which is about 25 inches of water. They both said 'increase it gradually 'till you get around 30 to 35'. So that is the goal. I went rooting around my storage room today and couldn't find my old Wyngets- rats! My rockets are very precise and will choke at higher pressures.