Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-06-2016, 06:43 AM   #31
cannont
Forum Member

Default Re: eChanter v3 released

Can you guys verify that this headphone jack would work? They're all listed as 3-pole, also saw some 4-pole. Also, is it possible for this to get programmed to have audio output using the Arduino Nano USB port?

https://www.amazon.com/kenable-3-5mm...SB4NQCFQ9BE50X

Last edited by cannont; 09-06-2016 at 06:46 AM. Reason: .
cannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-11-2016, 04:29 AM   #32
daj
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannont View Post
Can you guys verify that this headphone jack would work? They're all listed as 3-pole, also saw some 4-pole. Also, is it possible for this to get programmed to have audio output using the Arduino Nano USB port?

https://www.amazon.com/kenable-3-5mm...SB4NQCFQ9BE50X
yes... use a three pole stereo one and jumper the left and right as the output is only mono...else you'll only get sound out of one side...then just use any old headphones....however as there is no volume control on the echanter by default good idea to use some headphones that have some kind of volume control.. or even put it through a mini battery amp with headphone output....lots around for guitars, with a 1/4" mono input.
daj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:01 AM   #33
cannont
Forum Member

I got my eChanter up and running! I have the hifi audio setup, is there a way to boost volume? Do I just need to go out and buy an inline volume booster?

Todd
cannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:26 PM   #34
tjm
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannont View Post
I got my eChanter up and running!
Guess you figured out the programming issue - sorry I didn't reply sooner.

The eChanter side of things has a variable named 'vol' which is already set to maximum value. I've not really looked to deeply into the output aspects of the audio engine code - there may be something in there.

--Tim
tjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #35
Gassy
Forum Regular

I thought I might get around to building one of these but I am bit confused as to the best sensors to use? The suggestion that solder blobs are possible leads me to think that must use a single wire system? The circuit shows a 2 plate sensor eg. split rivet or tube inside tube. Is the single wire sensors still crackly or has that been solved?
Gassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #36
daj
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gassy View Post
I thought I might get around to building one of these but I am bit confused as to the best sensors to use?
I use little steel rivets for leather, solder the wires to the barrel...if it doesn't take solder, chances are it won't be very conductive.
Drill all the chanter holes same diameter and then user a hot glue gun to keep them in place.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:34 PM   #37
Gassy
Forum Regular

Thanks daj, but my question is more that the two plate (and hence 2 wire) capacitor circuit is what is on the echanter site and there was previously discussion that it was needed or you got crackling on the low hand notes (longer wires?).

If a single conductive pad is working well I was going to use some brass rod I have. If not, I was thinking that concentric brass tubes insulated from each other with heatshrink, but I'd rather not have to run the extra wires if not needed.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:22 AM   #38
daj
Forum Member

The single plate ones work fine, using the mozzi audio setup, using rivets is a lot less fiddley than brass rod, no cutting, deburring and the larger head makes them less likely to vanish down the tone holes..and trust me you don't want to use a permenent glue on them, contact adhesive or the glue gun.
The two plate pads added nothing much with the newer audio circuits apart from extra wires and double the chance of something not working.
Good Luck
Old 03-22-2017, 02:47 AM   #39
Gassy
Forum Regular

Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I agree rivets would be better but I have brass rod already and it's less time to cut and deburr it than go shopping - I hope

You used 5Mohm pull-ups still?
Old 03-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #40
daj
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gassy View Post
You used 5Mohm pull-ups still?
Not needed with the single wire contacts.....