Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other Topics > Photo and Video Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo and Video Gallery Your photos and links to your videos.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-31-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
Bob
Founder

1953 - 2006

Default Free sites - to host your photos and videos

I'll start this, the idea is to have a 'stickie thread' at the top of this forum where we can list sites that are available for free video or photo hosting.

In the case of photos, we need to be able to 'deep link' in order to include images in posts here. For video, we just need a site that will host them, as here we just include links to videos.

Photos:
http://www.photobucket.com/
http://imageshack.us/

Last edited by moderator team; 05-22-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Removed defunct website link. Rest in peace, Bob.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Casual Clicks
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Free sites - to host your photos and videos

Bob,

www.flickr.com photos
www.youtube.com videos

I'm one week new to your website but am very impressed with the tremendous job you do! Thank you for your years of hard work. I also have just started to check out the BC organization site as well.

Just returned from my first games in 15 years at Pomona in California where I saw some great bands but was very impressed with the 3 and 4 bands from Robert Malcolm. I enjoyed trying out a new toy my kids had gotten me a while back, a digital camera that also takes video clips.

My point relates to photo/video hosting.

My kids suggested www.youtube.com for video clips.
It's easy to use 'cause even I can do it. I've posted about 15 video clips of the Pomona games...and several of Robert Malcolm.

My photos are hosted by a Google related product...www.flickr.com

I LOVE FLICKR. Easy to use, seamless, great functionality and features...very intuitive.

But, after posting to this website and a few band's websites, over 3,000 people have viewed my photos at www.flickr.com/photos/casualclicks
where I have about 60 photos of the Pomona Games and several of Robert Malcolm.

Over 300 people have viewed my wee video clips
on www.youtube.com

Thanks again!
Casual Clicks (Jeff Lowe) Hawthorne, CA
Casual Clicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
Richard Strayer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by Casual Clicks:
I LOVE FLICKR. Easy to use, seamless, great functionality and features...very intuitive.
One thing I've just noticed about Flickr.com, which users should be aware of, is that apparently in IE (or at least my version of IE - v.6) it's not possible to right-click on the photos and obtain the URL to the actual image file - for whatever reason, that option is greyed-out. I noticed this after a friend attempted to post a pic from Flickr.com by copying and pasting the URL that appeared in the address bar of his browser, instead of copying the link location to the actual photo file (jpg). The link that appears in the address bar is for the Flickr web page on which the photo appears - not the photo file itself. The UBB code for displaying photos will not recognize the Flickr web page as a valid image file.

I'm not sure whether or not this issue also pertains to other free image hosting sites, but it merits notice. If, after uploading a photo to one of these hosting services, you're unable to copy the image link by right-clicking on the image, you may be able to locate the URL by following these steps:

1. from the browser menu bar, click "view" then "source" or "page source" (depending on the browser)

2. the html source code for the page you're viewing will open in a separate window (usually in Notepad). From the menu bar of this window, click "Edit" "Find"

3. in the "Find" dialog box, type in the name of the image file; for example, "image.jpg"

4. if found, the file name will be highlighted in the source window. Extend the highlight to the entire URL (starting with "http://") and copy it.

5. you can test this by pasting the copied URL back into the address bar of your browser, then click the "Go" button. If the link brings up your image on an otherwise blank screen, then you've got the correct link to use on the BDF.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:45 PM   #4
Richard Hallyburton
Forum Regular

Richard, if you click on the 'All sizes' symbol above the photo it will open the full size photo and give you the option to view alternative sizes. Below each photo you will see handy boxes with both the HTML code to add to a web page, and the URL for copy-and-pasting. No right-clicking of photos required.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Richard Strayer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks BOB - that is much simpler, of course. I'm not seeing quite what you describe - in my browser view, nowhere on the "All Sizes" page is there code that can just be copied; however; there does appear to be a "Download the X Size" link above each available image size, that can be right-clicked to copy the appropriate URL for that file.

Regardless, I guess the point I think should be emphasized is to make sure you get the URL that points directly to the actual image file, which usually will begin with "http://" and end with the photo's file extension (usually ".jpg"); for example:

http://www.filesharingservice.com/imagefile.jpg

...or some variation thereof. If your link ends with other numbers/variables then it might not work correctly with the UBB code for posting images.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
puff

I find this a good one for direct links from buletin boards:

http://www.picturetrunk.com/

I've used it for FARK photoshop contests and it is very reliable.
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
Scotty Da Q
Forum Regular

I'd had photo's disappear from Imageshack after a while (even though their agreement says they never delete). The also had a sever crash last year that caused a lot of problems, but they never brought back any of the pics hosted on that server (At least in my case ... yes my pics were within their TOS, and I was registered)

There's also All You Can Upload.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
STVGlasgow

Hi All,

To let you know, these links are now out of date but we will be showing coverage of Piping Live and the WPBC this week on stv.tv

We're going to post links to our videos on this thread in the 'photo and video gallery' section:

"Coverage of Piping Live! and the World Pipe Band Championships 2012"

Many thanks

STV Glasgow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTV View Post
A note to say we'd be happy to host videos on stv.tv/video free of charge

Videos are only made live once they've been checked - but that's a check for unsuitable content or copyrighted material, nothing else!

In fact if we get more than a few we'll create a whole line-up for them on the Scotland on TV section!

Use this link to find out more How to Upload
STVGlasgow is offline   Reply With Quote