Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-11-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
Skyelark
Forum Member

Default Captain Grant & The Ladies From Hell

Hey all & a Happy New Year!!

I'm looking for info on the two tunes above, not the music, but the "back story" if you like.

They are both solid 2/4 marches which are "under heard" and "underplayed". The only info I currently have is:

Captain Grant - 2/4 march, 2 parts. That's all I've got.

The Ladies From Hell - 2/4 march, 3 parts, by James Macmillan Tait. Other than a rough description of being somehow connected to the Blackwatch regiment, there's no other details around. And even in the "Regimental Music Handbook" (which is a great resource in and of itself) there is no mention of the tune actually being played by the Blackwatch, or any other regiment.

If anyone has any further info (dates etc) or stories connected to these tunes I'd really appreciate it, Thanks.

Gillies
Skyelark is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #2
Scratcher
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Captain Grant & The Ladies From Hell

Five minutes on google turned up the following.

1. Captain Grant was written by P/M MacDougall of the 91st of Foot.
2. It first appeared in Ross's collection which was compiled during the 1850s and 1860s and published in 1869.
3. Captain Grant of the 91st was one of the officers involved in the HMS Birkenhead disaster (1852) whose names "have become honoured in the annals of British pluck and endurance" and whose legacy continues to this day in the Birkenhead Drill.
I'm not saying that's definitely who your tune was about, but it's as good a story as you'll get.

As regards Ladies from Hell, it was written in 1941, so certainly not contemporary with the creation of the nickname in 1915 (incidentally, both this and the Devil Dogs nickname for US marines actually came out of US newspapers and not from the Germans in the opposite trenches).
Can't help you on who JMT was - he doesn't seem to have written anything else.

It's played by the pipes and drums of the 1st Bn Black Watch on their CD "Ladies from Hell"

Cheers
Scratch
Scratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Skyelark
Forum Member

Thanks Scratcher,

that get's me somewhat of a story behind the tune, although you must have a highly sophisticated version of the Googles where you are 'cause I tried & came up short, so thanks!

Slainte!
Skyelark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
Robert Pekaar
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Robert Pekaar

The nickname "Devil Dogs" came from the Germans in the opposite trenches who called them :Tefel Hunden. (WW1)
Old 01-12-2017, 11:38 PM   #5
Scratcher
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pekaar View Post
The nickname "Devil Dogs" came from the Germans in the opposite trenches who called them :Tefel Hunden. (WW1)
This was done to death years ago.

https://bshistorian.wordpress.com/20...ies-from-hell/

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...il+dogs&page=2

Cheers
Scratch

Last edited by Scratcher; 01-12-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Scratcher is offline   Reply With Quote