Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #41
Gassy
Forum Regular

Default Re: eChanter v3 released

Oh? I only looked at the switch test code which looks for a low, I assumed that applied to the main code. I shall read more!
Gassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-25-2017, 05:33 PM   #42
mjd
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: eChanter v3 troubleshooting

I am wondering if anyone has any advice. I am a novice programmer and beginner piper so I apologize in advance if I am missing something obvious. I am having trouble getting the echanter (v3) to work. I downloaded the sketch to an arduino, and attempt to test the code using jumper cables plugged into the proper pin locations as captouch sensors

When I touch the sensors, I can get the pin 2 captouch sensor to and play note 9. It also works when the pin 2 and 3 are touched simultaneously as shown from the Serial Monitor display (with note_detected and note_playing printed along with sensor, cycles and fmap variables).

Sensor::3::17 TOUCHED--fmap--0--note_detected--8--note_playing--8
Sensor::2::17 TOUCHED--fmap--2--note_detected--8--note_playing--8

However, when I try and touch more than that, I start to continuously get a tone (note 0) which I think is the grace note tone. You can see the serial readout when I touch three pins below.

Sensor::4::17 TOUCHED--fmap--0--note_detected--0--note_playing--0
Sensor::3::17 TOUCHED--fmap--4--note_detected--0--note_playing--0
Sensor::2::17 TOUCHED--fmap--6--note_detected--0--note_playing--0

I have altered the control rate variable to a setting of 64, and changed the captouch trigger setting to 3, and by doing so I can get it to read the note for sensors 4, 3 and 2 simultaneously, but after that I just get note zero again (as shown below).

Sensor::6::17 TOUCHED--fmap--0--note_detected--0--note_playing--0
Sensor::5::17 TOUCHED--fmap--16--note_detected--0--note_playing--0
Sensor::4::17 TOUCHED--fmap--24--note_detected--0--note_playing--0
Sensor::3::17 TOUCHED--fmap--28--note_detected--0--note_playing--0
Sensor::2::17 TOUCHED--fmap--30--note_detected--0--note_playing--0

I am at a loss of what to do to troubleshoot the problem. It seems as if the sensor touches are registered properly but the note detected and note playing variables stay on note zero.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Regardless of my difficulties, its a great project!

Thanks,
mjd
mjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #43
Gassy
Forum Regular

Possibly working as intended, if you look at the gracenote section of code if it can't detect a valid note or gracenote it plays a low G. I've only had a quick look at the code, I could be wrong.

I should point out, you will be unable to play a valid note by only touching 2-3 wires - it plays like a real chanter, there are no notes without at least 4 holes covered. You can edit the code for testing and make the high hand all 'touched'.

Last edited by Gassy; 03-26-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:35 PM   #44
daj
Forum Member

What gassy said, really need to mount your sensors on some kind of tube so you can "play" it like a chanter. And yes it uses highland pipe fingering.
If you are still having issues then recheck your wiring, I also wonder if using a breadboard with too long wires may affect the capacitive contacts? I try to use as short a wire as possible, old printer or VGA cables use the individual strands, multicore seems to give the best response
daj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:40 PM   #45
tjm
Forum Clasp

Been away from pipes for a while ... good to see there are few undaunted DIYers still having a go at eChanter

--Tim
tjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:25 PM   #46
daj
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm View Post
Been away from pipes for a while ... good to see there are few undaunted DIYers still having a go at eChanter

--Tim
Gidday Tim,
just put a battery in an eChanter V3 I put together a couple of years ago at least, forgotten in a box, plugged it into the Bose speaker, really doesn't sound too bad at all, via the Mozzi hifi output, volume on the Bose.
Happy to repost anything, if anyone is stuck.

David
Old 04-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #47
Gassy
Forum Regular

Mine works but my fingers are typically too dry to get a good response. I can use a hand cream but a tweak of the sensitivity would suit me better if possible with the Arduino.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:44 PM   #48
daj
Forum Member

What are you using for the sensors? Some materials have far better sensitivity than others.
AsI mentioned I rarely play the eChanter, but I do use my openpipe midi controller a lot using a MPR121 breakout board, the sensitivity is identical using 7mm headed leather rivets, they come in two parts, one has a slightly wider diameter, drill 4 or 4.5 holes in the chanter and fix the with hot glue, the short or the front and back part works better towards the top of the chanter when there are more wires...I can easily get all the sensor wires to the top with a 6 mm bore.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:46 AM   #49
Gassy
Forum Regular

I'm using 6mm brass rod cut down in length. I'll try some leather rivets, but it's likely the dry air down south ;)