Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-21-2020, 04:47 PM   #1
DCYMPiper
Forum Member

Default Favor PC reeds?

Greetings, all! For years I have used the Frazer Warnock PC reeds, but lately I haven't been very happy with them. Just curious as to some of your favorites and why, if you care to share. I'm open to trying something new. I have a long Naill poly practice chanter. Thanks for your input!

"Who's choking the duck?!!!"
DCYMPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-21-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Favor PC reeds?

I used Walsh in my long Naill for a long time but recently realized when I took the top off that I forgot I’ve been used a similarly designed Erik Leiken. They’re easy to blow and in relatively good tune.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:40 PM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCYMPiper View Post
Greetings, all! For years I have used the Frazer Warnock PC reeds, but lately I haven't been very happy with them. Just curious as to some of your favorites and why, if you care to share. I'm open to trying something new. I have a long Naill poly practice chanter. Thanks for your input!
I had a small batch of 5-6 FW recently...only 1 was useable out of the box.

Scrubbing the blade faces ( Middle of the blades ...from about 1/16 down from the top) back/forth over some 400 grit wet/dry paper several times with just enough finger pressure..6-7 times ... to leave a slight red smear made them better and playable. Annoying...Ive had other FW reeds play perfect out of the box.

I am also a fan of John Walsh reeds. Most usually no issues....ditto with the FWs ...I think the last few I got were the remainder of a box of several dozen after being picked over.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
Joseph Diodato
Forum Member

My favorite PC reed depends on the time of day that I'm practicing (as someone who lives in an apartment complex). During the day, I belt out whatever tunes/exercises on a Frazer Warnock or Gibson reed.

I've also heard good things about Walsh, but have never gotten around to actually trying them. The Q1 is my other go-to "quiet" PC reed. I wasn't a biggest fan of the Abedour PC reed in my Dunbar regular-length poly PC -- blowing felt very restricted (the word congested comes to mind, for some reason). Abedour was, however, the quietest of the 7-8 reeds that I've tried, so some folks might value that while compromising on the "feel" of it all.

My Piping Blog- A student's musings on learning the Great Highland Bagpipe.
Joseph Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:35 PM   #5
EyeC
Forum Member

Walsh and Q1 are my go-to for my PC. I've tried others...Abedour is too easy and quiet, while Abbotts are too loud. However, I do use Gibson or Abbotts in my kitchen pipes, as they are better suited (in my opinion) for that setup.
EyeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:21 PM   #6
DCYMPiper
Forum Member

Thanks for the input! I'll try a few of the reeds and even the sanding of my FW's.

"Who's choking the duck?!!!"
DCYMPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:31 PM   #7
Lochie
Forum Regular

Walsh all day long in every PC I own. And I'm a critical sob with zero connection to the maker, other than being a happy consumer. We buy them for my pipe band, as I'm.the PM and don't have time for PCs that sound like a duck call...I'm.sure there are others as good, just haven't needed to find them....I wish all my piping decisions were this easy....
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:09 AM   #8
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Walsh are great PC reeds in the right chanter. I purchased an RH Hardie Twist Trap PC this last Fall and have been loving it. But I've been trying to find reeds I don't overblow or that don't sound off which includes the Walsh that went really well in my previous PC.

Warnocks are always a go to and that's what I have in it currently but I'd like to find something more robust. Gibson PC reeds do not work nor do G1 reeds, I think because the Gibson blades are just too large and the G1 is very similar to the Walsh and doesn't like my chanter.

Have anyone tried either the:
Abbott Narrow version or the Deboth ?

Old 01-29-2020, 09:55 PM   #9
Ian Lawther

Best reed ever by George Alexander, Isle of Wight (formerly London) who also pioneered the long practice chanter. This reed has been giving me wonderful service since the mid 1970s.
Alexander reed.jpg
Ian Lawther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:52 AM   #10
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

You're in good company Ian - Ian Duncan also uses one of those, though I seem to remember him saying his dated from the 60s! I'd love to know how they were made.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote