Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-22-2020, 09:27 AM   #11
BGP
Forum Regular

Default Re: Ackland A466 Drone Reeds!

Where and when will they be available?
BGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #12
T.Ackland
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGP View Post
Where and when will they be available?
I guess the A480 reeds are now just about there after an embarrassing long time in development which includes the necessary precision equipment.
Below is a copy and pasted comment on the reeds and their performance.

Had a spare minute so played some more tunes on your reeds. The original 11/14/2019 reeds (cut down 440 reeds?) go well in my trouble pipe. That is, the pipe that always seem to reveal problems. A pleasure to play. So Iíve been able to try them in 3 different pipes of very different specs: Terry (MacDougall-ish apparently), Gellaitry (Sinclair-ish), and Colin Kyo (Henderson-ish). All without trouble. They give a similar, distinct sound in all 3 pipes, so thatís good. You can expect the same performance across the board and the tone is demonstrably different from what is currently available.
T.Ackland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:58 PM   #13
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Ackland View Post
Those reeds were earlier development reeds that were mailed out by mistake, and being a freebie set and as the piper does not play A-480 I did not replace them. Unfortunately you got hold of them and decided on a Youtube review which I think is damaging.
Why would you then try to steer Dunsire members to your Youtube site to hear reeds that will never ever be available, unless it is about self promotion?
I thought your reeds sounded fantastic, and say as much in the video. Of course I want people to see the video, but one of the reasons to is to show off these reeds, even if they are a pre-production model. They sounded great and thought it would still help let folks know about you and your reed business, which I take a as a positive for everyone.
Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:13 AM   #14
T.Ackland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Willis Bagpiper View Post
I thought your reeds sounded fantastic, and say as much in the video. Of course I want people to see the video, but one of the reasons to is to show off these reeds, even if they are a pre-production model. They sounded great and thought it would still help let folks know about you and your reed business, which I take a as a positive for everyone.
OK Matt, you are a bit of a showman and could be good for the reeds, even though I'm really not sure how far I want to go with them, all the fun was in the development.
If you email me your mailing address I will get a set of the new 480s off to you and if you have a 466 chanter I will include a set of 466 reeds.
Terry
Old 01-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #15
BGP
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply Mr. Ackland. Just curious, have they been tried in David Glen pipes?

Getting reeds set to strike in well is always a problem with my Glens, (in comparison to other makes of pipe.)

I wonder if Patrick McLaurin tried the 466 version in his D. Glens?
Old 01-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #16
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I’ll give them a go, and I know what you mean about D Glens being finicky!
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:38 AM   #17
BGP
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Iíll give them a go, and I know what you mean about D Glens being finicky!
Thank You!
Old 01-24-2020, 10:08 PM   #18
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Ackland View Post
Why would you then try to steer Dunsire members to your Youtube site to hear reeds that will never ever be available, unless it is about self promotion?
So NOW you're worried about someone using your reeds for self-promotion.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #19
Tom1136
Forum Member

I've had a set of Terry's 466 reeds in my silver Gibson's for about two weeks now and I am just now getting them "dialed in". I had been playing Croziers with a Henderson orchestral chanter and a Bb reed. I was right at the "edge" of tuning with the Croziers and was looking for a stronger sound. My Croziers may have become a little worn if that's possible as they are several years old.
Earlier this week I had to play a graveside service at 21deg F. and snowing. I must admit I was so worried about the new Ackland reeds I swapped out the base and went back to my old standby Crozier. But the tenors worked without a problem and I have since replaced the base and spent some time outside. So far they perform very well in the cold. Good strong sound very steady and good air consumption. Tuning is right where I like it and at the moment my only concern is the strike in is slightly different than my Croziers. But I think that's my fault and with a bit more practice time they'll be an excellent set. Thanks Terry, good product! Tom W.
Tom1136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #20
T.Ackland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGP View Post
Thanks for the reply Mr. Ackland. Just curious, have they been tried in David Glen pipes?

Getting reeds set to strike in well is always a problem with my Glens, (in comparison to other makes of pipe.)

I wonder if Patrick McLaurin tried the 466 version in his D. Glens?
If you email me your address I'll send you a set, would that be 466?
Because of the body/tongue geometry there is a lot of adjustment in the bridle, of which changes the pitch without reducing efficiency. I think Mat Willis mentioned this in a review of a older set of reeds.
This extra adjustment, besides the tuning pin, should make the reeds work in drones of varying bore dimensions. This way of adjustment will probably take some getting used to.