Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-15-2019, 07:55 PM   #21
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Naill Re-bore?

Naills of that era are not known for a prominent bass...trying to get that may be fruitless..these are drones known for an elegant, rich tone with harmonics..the chanter of that era is the star here.
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-16-2019, 01:53 AM   #22
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpiper13 View Post
neither completely solved the issue.

I am still not clear what the issue that needs to be solved is.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:41 AM   #23
gisahag
Forum Regular

Madpiper13, if no-one had ever told you that tenor drones sound best 'on the hemp line', would you have been happy with the sound of your David Nialls?
Personally I think it's a non-issue. At best it's rough rule of thumb (and at worst an auld wives' tale) that for most makes of pipes the tenors will sound best if a couple of mm of hemp is showing. But the key word there is 'most'. It's well known that David Niall tenors of a certain age naturally tune lower, but that doesn't mean they would sound even better if you could get them up on the hemp line.
If it's just the visual effect that bothers you, why not paint the top half of the tuning pin yellow to make it look like hemp. That's no less mad than reboring a perfectly good set of pipes, but it's reversible and much cheaper.
gisahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:06 AM   #24
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Might be interesting to hear what the actual measured mm bore size is...( ie a #2 pencil test ) and the actual year of these pipes .
Then an open BDF poll of folks with the same vintage set to compare bores.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:53 AM   #25
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gisahag View Post
Madpiper13, if no-one had ever told you that tenor drones sound best 'on the hemp line', would you have been happy with the sound of your David Nialls?
Personally I think it's a non-issue. At best it's rough rule of thumb (and at worst an auld wives' tale) that for most makes of pipes the tenors will sound best if a couple of mm of hemp is showing. But the key word there is 'most'. It's well known that David Niall tenors of a certain age naturally tune lower, but that doesn't mean they would sound even better if you could get them up on the hemp line.
If it's just the visual effect that bothers you, why not paint the top half of the tuning pin yellow to make it look like hemp. That's no less mad than reboring a perfectly good set of pipes, but it's reversible and much cheaper.
Or wrap hemp lower down on the pins.

I will say that the "hemp line" rule of thumb is a useful one, though. When putting my pipes together, I know approximately where my pipes will be in tune before I even blow up the bag. Or if something were to happen and a drone top falls off, I should be able to match it to the other tenor top and be just about in tune.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #26
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

To some extent, I do think that some folks make the "hemp line rule" to be more of an issue than it is. I agree that it's a good rule of thumb.

To my way of thinking, I recently experienced some confirmation of this with a set of pipes I was helping someone sell. They were a set of Gibson pipes, and overall, I think their sound was wonderful.

Anyway, I was shocked at how short the hemp area was for the tenons. If memory serves, they were a little less than an inch. With most pipes I play, there tends to be a good 1/4" of hemp showing ... sometimes more. If I had that going with the Gibsons, the tops would be rocking in place, and nearly falling off.

When I set them up for sale, I ended up having the tenors tuning so that the hemp was barely showing .. and that was only achieved with short EzDrone reeds.

I did the above to avoid any prejudice ... in truth, I much preferred the sound/tone with a set of original Kinnairds I'd tried, but I could NOT get them tuning anywhere near the hempline.

So clearly ... it didn't matter. With the Kinnairds, the sound was wonderful, but they were tuning a good 1/4" BELOW the hempline.

Granted, there's a BIG difference between drones tuning WAY down on the pin, and nearer the hempline ... but people do seem to be a bit obsessive over "My GOD!! I can't see the hemp at all!!!! Blasphemy!!! Criminal!!!"

We pipers can get a bit carried away ... sound is what matters. That's my take anyway ... make of it what you will.

Cheers,
~Nate

Last edited by Pppiper; 05-17-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote