Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.


Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
Dave R
Forum Gold Medal
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Worthing, Sussex,UK
Posts: 605
Default New Book on C18th Pastoral/UnionPipes and music

Hi. I lurk quietly here, being a player of Swayne Low D pipes. I have just finished a research project, following a possible route of the development of Pastoral/Union Pipes, in the C18th. It also looks at the link between pipes and the Theatre. It is illustrated with contemporary illustrations, and has 102 tunes arranged for Pastoral/Union/ Low "D" pipes. I am pleased offer it here.....please contact me if you have any questions. Mods:- Delete if you think this is inappropriate, but I have posted here as it is so specialised. I will move it if you prefer....


http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/daverowlands


Thank you for looking,


Dave.
__________________
" Do nothing, and nothing is left undone". Lao Tzu


http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/daverowlands

Last edited by Dave R; 01-21-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Statment of intent.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
Rob MacDonald
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,171
Default Re: New Book on C18th Pastoral/UnionPipes and music

Cool - I look forward to reading it!

Mike Sharp and I are researching an early Hugh Robertson pastoral set in the Seaforth Collection and a) I expect that you'll be an asset to our research and b) I hope that we'll have some new information to share with you.
__________________
The greatest economy lies in buying the best you can afford.
www.westcoastkilts.com
Rob MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:02 AM   #3
Kintailpipes
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Franklin, MA
Posts: 180
Default Re: New Book on C18th Pastoral/UnionPipes and music

I received my copy last night, assume research and some really great tunes. Well done and worth the price.
Kintailpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:10 AM   #4
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: WV to the OC
Posts: 9,957
Default Re: New Book on C18th Pastoral/UnionPipes and music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I lurk quietly here, being a player of Swayne Low D pipes.
What lovely pipes those are! I've never seen a set in person, only the YouTube video of Jon playing his own Low D set. They sound amazing.

Lucky man!

PS I bought an old Low D smallpipe chanter by MacHarg a while back. My intention was to play it in my uilleann set. It didn't work out as I had hoped, and I sold off that chanter.
__________________
proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte
pancelticpiper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
Dave R
Forum Gold Medal
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Worthing, Sussex,UK
Posts: 605
Default Re: New Book on C18th Pastoral/UnionPipes and music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintailpipes View Post
I received my copy last night, assume research and some really great tunes. Well done and worth the price.

Many thanks for buying my book , and for posting your feelings here. I am so glad you like it.


Best wishes


Dave R
__________________
" Do nothing, and nothing is left undone". Lao Tzu


http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/daverowlands
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #6
Tjones79
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 77
Default Re: New Book on C18th Pastoral/UnionPipes and music

David, thank you for your new book "The Long Century". Iím enjoying it. I play the pastoral pipes and itís nice to have something focused on my type of pipe. Discussing the development of the music together with the pipes, gives a good perspective for the pipes. The format and the layout are nice and assessable. I like the descriptions, the illustrations, along with the words for the tunes. I havenít gotten too far into it yet, but having the words will be a help in getting the feel of the tunes in the future.

I have a theory on the development of the union pipes. Not too long ago, I had a regulator added to my set. Iíd seen historic pictures of regulators on pastoral pipes so I thought it would be a nice addition. Iíve found that other than just adding a note or two to the melody and making a nice cord, the long foot joint makes it almost impossible to play the regulators like on an Uilleann pipe. Once the regulators became common place, the foot joint was gone.

It is sad to me, in that, I feel the pastoral pipes have a nice robust sound and they are fun to play, but very few will consider it, over the uilleann pipes.

The tunes that Iíve attempted so far, the melodies all lay very nicely over the drones. I did notice a bias for your Low D pipes over the Pastoral pipe though, it seems the highest note that the tunes reach is a high G. I really enjoy my ability to reach the high Aís & Bís in tunes.

Overall, nice job! Your book is a nice addition of tunes and to the history of piping; right along with Pete Stewartís and Matt Seattleís work!
Tjones79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:17 AM   #7
Dave R
Forum Gold Medal
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Worthing, Sussex,UK
Posts: 605
Default Re: New Book on C18th Pastoral/UnionPipes and music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjones79 View Post
David, thank you for your new book "The Long Century". Iím enjoying it. I play the pastoral pipes and itís nice to have something focused on my type of pipe. Discussing the development of the music together with the pipes, gives a good perspective for the pipes. The format and the layout are nice and assessable. I like the descriptions, the illustrations, along with the words for the tunes. I havenít gotten too far into it yet, but having the words will be a help in getting the feel of the tunes in the future.

I have a theory on the development of the union pipes. Not too long ago, I had a regulator added to my set. Iíd seen historic pictures of regulators on pastoral pipes so I thought it would be a nice addition. Iíve found that other than just adding a note or two to the melody and making a nice cord, the long foot joint makes it almost impossible to play the regulators like on an Uilleann pipe. Once the regulators became common place, the foot joint was gone.

It is sad to me, in that, I feel the pastoral pipes have a nice robust sound and they are fun to play, but very few will consider it, over the uilleann pipes.

The tunes that Iíve attempted so far, the melodies all lay very nicely over the drones. I did notice a bias for your Low D pipes over the Pastoral pipe though, it seems the highest note that the tunes reach is a high G. I really enjoy my ability to reach the high Aís & Bís in tunes.

Overall, nice job! Your book is a nice addition of tunes and to the history of piping; right along with Pete Stewartís and Matt Seattleís work!


Hi, I am so glad you like it, it took a long time to sort out. You are quite right about a bias to European pipes in "D" but it does state that on the cover. I can get top "A" from my Swayne pipes, but felt it was better not to include this as I wanted to help players of "D" pipes access this music.


Thanks for posting here.


Dave R


PS keep an eye out on the Lulu website for another offering, that looks at C18th music from the near continent.
__________________
" Do nothing, and nothing is left undone". Lao Tzu


http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/daverowlands
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Silver Sponsor

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:55 PM.