Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-06-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
Ron Teague
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Rocket Reed question

Hi Guys

I have an old 1910 ebony set of Lawries with rocket reeds in them. when I get the tenors in tune they sound like only one tenor is playing they are just that spot on. However rather than increasing in sound volume they decrease and sound like just one tenor is playing which makes the bass drone, also spot on in tune to sound louder. I have tried my old Wyngent duatones and don't have this problem. Just to make sure I used Wyngent's Andre in the bass; all nicely in tune but the tenors have more volume and balance the bass well. Problem I like the rockets they tune like a dream except for this odd problem. I never have had this before. It is as if one of the tenors just disappears and becomes a ghost tenor. Ideas

The Cheesy Piobaireachd Player
Ron Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-07-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
RichmondPiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Rocket Reed question

Very similar story from me as well, also in v old ebony pipes (2 sets) - it doesn't worry me. The volume must still be there because there are two drones, just well in tune. I guess it all depends on what they sound like to a listener and judges and others have been very complimentary.
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:15 PM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have this ďproblemĒ with any reed that is steady enough to tune well. It is what it is.

The *only* thing I can think of is to change the distance between your tenor tops. But I really donít think thatís going to help. Thatís just me BSing.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:55 PM   #4
Keith Jeffers
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Teague View Post
Hi Guys

I have an old 1910 ebony set of Lawries with rocket reeds in them. when I get the tenors in tune they sound like only one tenor is playing they are just that spot on. However rather than increasing in sound volume they decrease and sound like just one tenor is playing which makes the bass drone, also spot on in tune to sound louder. I have tried my old Wyngent duatones and don't have this problem. Just to make sure I used Wyngent's Andre in the bass; all nicely in tune but the tenors have more volume and balance the bass well. Problem I like the rockets they tune like a dream except for this odd problem. I never have had this before. It is as if one of the tenors just disappears and becomes a ghost tenor. Ideas

If you are able to make one tenor disappear into the other while tuning you have something exceptional on your hands. If you can make the bass and tenors disappear into each other and form one sound, you have something extraordinary. And finally, when you combine that drone combination with a chanter that truly blends in with all of the above then you have reached something phenomenal.

The drop in volume may be only perceived by you and not the listener. Have someone else play them and have a listen.
Keith Jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote