Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-24-2015, 11:53 PM   #11
Barry Shears

Default Re: The Pipe Music of the Western People

Yes, John, one can't underestimate the influence of the Bothy Band on traditional music world wide. I never heard of them until my late twenties but they blew me away when I finally did hear them.
Barry
www.capebretonpiper.com
Barry Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #12
Greg in London
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

It;s funny to see this now, five years after the last post, when I've looked up the author and the tune several times over the years. It's one of my favourite books, or at least has some tunes that are long term favourites, but difficult to master. They are definitely reminiscent of many old Irish session tunes, though maybe not the ones that are most popular today. Some are set a tone or two out from other more popular settings today (Paddy's Leather Breeches for example). They are certainly not simplified for the pipes. You definitely have a feel that someone from a different tradition has written them, but that if you could just get the phrasing and timing firmly in your mind then they would fall to the fingers better. That's presuming that you wish to play the same way each time - there is a lot of flexibility possible in some of the settings.

I understood there was a second and maybe a third compilation from some lists I saw years ago, but I have never seen one, nor spoken to anyone else who did. Filling in the gaps, I may well have bought mine from Bill Lewington too, along with books by Aillean Domhnallach. They also had gracings that were considered odd then, but are fairly mainstream now.

Anyway, the bit about filling in gaps - in the mid to late 1990s when I used to busk in the West End, I ran into his son Sean Macgloin who had trained to be a solicitor. He was a very good piper (better than me anyway) though he didn't seem very aware of his father's books. He was interested to go through the settings, but was more into more conventional tunes I think.
Greg in London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #13
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings to All,

A most interesting Thread!! :)

And... ah... Music!!... theirs... ours... anybody's !!...
It is... like spoken language... a living thing!!... and
shall... change!!... enlarge... grow... or decline... and
just by its being spoken... or played... :)

Some changes stay... and become... while some but
fall by the wayside... but all... add... to the whole... :)

How fortunate we... to be engulfed... in these.. Seas
of Music!!... :)

Regards to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 11-14-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote