Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #11
David D.
Forum Regular

Default Re: Airstream blowpipes - actually useful?

I've used at Airstream since I started but now I only have one on my polly backup set. The valve flapper is pretty tough and I can't see it failing with a crack or tear but I've replaced them when they start to deteriorate and get sticky. I've always rinsed them out with water after playing so that may help.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:31 AM   #12
PiperGirl00
Forum Regular

Air-stream for >5 years and no complaints. Replaced valve once. Love the oval mouthpiece (to each his own) but it was a game changer for me.

Like any equipment there are small things to pay attention to. For me it's when I release water from trap (take blow-stick out to drain) and then put blow-stick back in sometimes when it's tight it twists and over compresses the valve. This lends to leaking, simple fix is to counter-twist blow-stick to release pressure and it's fixed. Super easy once identified.

Super easy to replace valve and cheap. Knock on wood, never had it fail during any performance.

I love Air-stream so much I have two (one for back up - because I was nervous of this happening but it never did, knock on wood). And nice thing is if you or your instructor/band mate are sick you can have one blow stick for you and one for other person...cuts down chances of getting sick during flu season!
PiperGirl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:33 AM   #13
PiperGirl00
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy Livingstone View Post
I've just acquired an Ayrshire Bagpipe Company "Big Bore" blowpipe and mouthpiece. Previously I was playing an Airstream mouthpiece with another brand of blow-stick which (I thought) was free of any restriction. However, on fitting the ABC 'Big Bore' and blowing the pipes up for the first time, I nearly blew the chanter & drones out of their stocks!!! Would certainly recommend this make.
Has anyone else tried this blowpipe listed above "big bore"? I am intrigued to see such a big difference between Airstream and big bore - so I measured my airstream diameter and it is slightly larger than the onsite size listed for big bore per their website (big bore states 3/8" or 9.5mm) I measured my airstream at 10mm (inner diameter at the tenon end) so its a tiny difference. That said, I'm not an expert and maybe there are inner diameter changes between the two...I am curious as to why it would be easier...hmmmm something to consider.

Last edited by PiperGirl00; 10-27-2019 at 07:46 AM.
PiperGirl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:25 AM   #14
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Previously I was only using an Airstream “mouthpiece” not the entire blowpipe so I wasn’t actually making an exact ‘like for like’ comparison between Airstream and ‘BigBore’ brands. I’ll have to have a look at the other blow stick to see what it’s diameter is - it doesn’t have an internal valve so that might make a small difference in perceived free flow of air as well.
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:17 PM   #15
teuchter46
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperGirl00 View Post
I measured my airstream diameter and it is slightly larger than the onsite size listed for big bore per their website (big bore states 3/8" or 9.5mm) I measured my airstream at 10mm (inner diameter at the tenon end) so its a tiny difference. That said, I'm not an expert and maybe there are inner diameter changes between the two...I am curious as to why it would be easier...hmmmm something to consider.

Pressure drop of air passing down a pipe is inversely proportional to the 5th power of the pipe diameter. So even the 0.5mm difference you measured would result in the 10mm bore offering 23% lower pressure drop for the same air flow as compared to the 9.5mm bore. You’d notice that for sure I think. (For the same feeling of force in your facial muscles you’d get more air through).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2019, 07:25 AM   #16
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've been using them for at least 5 years now with all of my sets. I think they're great. Only one of them had a slightly leaky valve .. I had to take it apart to put vasoline on the valve, and reassemble. Was fine after that.

Otherwise though, awesomely air-tight.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote