Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #11
John MacDonald
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via Yahoo to John MacDonald
Default Re: Burns '18

I came back to UK 4 days ago as my daughter is producing grandchild No3, and i have ended up with x7 events to play at whilst Iím here. Iím certain things were quieter last year?

NO 1 supper was completed tonight. I too, got a very palatable haggis starter and a salmon main course.

People who donít know that Roger is teetotal, might be inclined to think he had an over generous nip to toast the beast!!
Old 01-25-2018, 01:21 AM   #12
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Hi John & good to hear your back for a wee while- hope everything goes well with the new grandchild.

Yes there has been a steady increase in Burns events over the past couple of years in the UK - well South East England st least. Before the economic ‘downturn’ on 2008, the brewers, distillers and drinks wholesalers were literally throwing Scottish related product at the pub & restaurant sector at heavily discounted prices in January encouraging them to run Burns events. I suppose it was a good promotional tool to retain market prominence in the usually ‘flat month’ after Christmas & New Year.

This all seemed to halt after the 2008 crash , but since then there has been a steady increase in ‘corporate’ functions using a Burns Night theme when the real purpose of the exercise was client / customer entertainment and engagement. Whilst the main purpose of these events is not a full blown Burns Supper, I have to say that many are delivered with admirable professionalism (I could say except when Huth is playing but my New Years resolution was to be kinder to him!).

There seems to be a much readier supply in the London area of people willing to address the haggis (and make a good job of it) rather than having the Piper ‘multitask’, and the catering profession seem to be getting to grips with serving up haggis too - in past it was all too often either ‘slop’ where the chef had pricked the skin whilst boiling, or dry where it had sat in the oven for too long.

Anyway- long may it remain so! This lucrative couple of weeks for us Pipers helps justify the remainder of the year when the money is flowing outwards to pay for all the costs of our art!

Last edited by Roddy Livingstone; 01-25-2018 at 01:23 AM.
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:02 AM   #13
Roger Huth

Burns Earns

But lest we forget; let us also toast the eternal 'bagpipe for the public tunes' that help us pipers pockets

P/M Rob Pinkman - Itchy Fingers
P/M Donald Macleod - Glasgow Police
RSDG - Amazing Grace
Macca - Mull of Kintyre
Corries? - Flower of Scotland
Trad - Scotland the Brave/Black Bear
Roever/Korb - Highland Cathedral

Roger Huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:46 AM   #14
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Huth View Post
Burns Earns

But lest we forget; let us also toast the eternal 'bagpipe for the public tunes' that help us pipers pockets

P/M Rob Pinkman - Itchy Fingers
P/M Donald Macleod - Glasgow Police
RSDG - Amazing Grace
Macca - Mull of Kintyre
Corries? - Flower of Scotland
Trad - Scotland the Brave/Black Bear
Roever/Korb - Highland Cathedral

And Rabbie himself......

A Mans a Man for a' that
Corn Rigs
My Love She's But a Lassie Yet
Duncan Gray Cam' here to woo
Etc. Etc. Etc.

(And before anyone else says it, yes, many of these tunes were already in existence before Burns put the words we know today to them!)
Old 01-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #15
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

No Burns gigs for me this year.
Though I really do like haggis, Burns Night celebrations always put me in mind of my own bit of verse from a few years back.

The haggis is cooking's dark art,
Oatmeal, onions, lungs, liver and heart.
It tastes good, but it's foul,
Causing gurgling bowel,
That results in a room clearing fart.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:34 PM   #16
Roger Huth

The chef is standing with his tray
This haggis is heavy hear him say
I wish the piper would start to play
Then we could all get under weigh

Back at Boisdales for number four
Roger Huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #17
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Currently in the midst of number 6 (of 9) and its the easiest gig I have done in years ! (Hope iím not tempting fate by speaking too soon).

A quick run through ĎLt. Col. A S Duncaní and ĎThe Tug Argan Gapí saw all the 120 guests into the dining room & seated (and a request from the Ceilidh band present for the scores!) so now a short wait to play about 16 bars of ĎA Manís a Maní & thatíll be me done! If only they were all as simple (actually the pipes are singing and iíd rather be playing more!)
Old 01-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #18
Jfarmer
Forum Member

Unfortunately, our Burns Celebration Supper has been delayed till Feb. 17 due to cold weather. While many of you may snicker, please realize that New Orleans very seldom has freezing temperatures, and 20 degrees Fahrenheit is akin to hell freezing over (as it very well did in the French Quarter)!

We will enjoy our haggis nevertheless.

"There's music in the sticks, If you can draw it out." (Alan Bain, Kintail and Edinburgh)
Jfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #19
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

[QUOTE=Jfarmer

We will enjoy our haggis nevertheless.

[/QUOTE]

Eeek. You must mean a lucious Crawfish …touffťe or jambalaya.....
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:25 AM   #20
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy Livingstone View Post
And Rabbie himself......

A Mans a Man for a' that
Corn Rigs
My Love She's But a Lassie Yet
Duncan Gray Cam' here to woo
Etc. Etc. Etc.

(And before anyone else says it, yes, many of these tunes were already in existence before Burns put the words we know today to them!)
Years ago I met a Gaelic scholar who detested Burns due to him replacing the words of traditional songs (including Gaelic songs) with his own, and Burns getting all the credit, the original words forgot.

But to turn it the other way, how many of those old tunes would be known today had Burns not appropriated them? Few, I would guess.

In any case I just piped at two Burns events.

One was the sort of thing I've often seen here, a roomful of Americans making a hash of Burns poetry. It's held in a restaurant, the Burns folks taking up half, the other half with ordinary customers. The restaurant owner and the Burns organisers split my fee, and as has been said you cannot serve two masters, the restaurant owner telling me to play while the Burns people want quiet so they can do their endless readings.

My solution for years has been to play the smallpipes in the room with the regular customers during the poetry readings, little or no sound bleeding in to the adjacent room. While the Burns people were eating and no readings were going on my purpose is to be in the Burns folks room playing background music (they're not listening, much) and I took the opportunity to play Lament for Captain MacDougall- ideal for filling a large amount of time.

The second Burns event was completely different from any I had played at, at least half of the attendees being Scots. It was wonderful to hear Ode To A Haggis and Tam O Shanter recited by people who actually speak the dialect, the readings being the best I've ever heard. Tam O Shanter was an elaborate one-man production complete with quick costume changes and numerous props (a horse tail, various bloody weapons, etc).

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 01-28-2018 at 04:46 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote