Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-23-2018, 03:26 PM   #1
Roger Huth

Default Burns '18

And so to the great wen for my first Burns of the 18 season
I realised I had left it too late for the mile hike to the station so headed back to my car, drove down and found a rare space there to park
With minutes to spare, I bought a senior rail ticket and boarded the train to Waterloo
At the journey's end I alighted onto the platform and put my ticket into the exit contraption
I pulled the ticket out and the maws let me through
I suddenly pulled up
The confounded maws had grabbed my pipe case
I tugged hard but the maws gripped harder
I yanked again but still no give
I decided to put effort in this time and won the battle, leaving it screaming its alarm
Onto the Jubilee line and Canary Wharf to await The Ranald's arrival at Boisdales
The Chief finally did so and entered the room with his guests in tow while I played Cock of the North
After their salmon course I was summoned forward to play in the sheep's stomach, which was huge and responding to gravity like one of those deep sea fish blobs
The addressee shouted at it and then stabbed it with an outsize claymore, releasing a wraith of steam and smashing an ornament as an aside
The chef had meanwhile disappeared, so I played the haggis death march of Scotland the Brave and went to my room to await my portion of the beast - which was excellent by the way
I now sit here watching the fairy lights on Cabot Square and wait to play Auld Lang Syne
Roger Huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-23-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Burns '18

It was #3 (of 9) for me tonight at the livery hall of the 'Worshipful Guild of Drapers' in the City of London. After playing for the 200 guests as they arrived and during the drinks reception, then piping in the Haggis, I dined with the assembled company. I was seated between the wonderful young soprano Charlotte ('Charlie') Richardson and her equally talented accompanist harpist, Glenda Allaway, both of whom I have worked with for several years and are good friends of mine. Over the cheese and coffee, Charlie asked me if I thought she should do three or four verses of her final song due to be performed at about 11.30 pm. I'm afraid my response was "I really don't mind Charlie. I've got a brief selection to play at around 10 pm & that's me done, so I'll be at home by then!". This earned me a huge guffaw of laughter from the girls, a friendly (but quite hard enough to hurt!) punch on the shoulder from Charlie, and utterances of "Lucky sod!" from them both!

Poor old Roger though - still dining in the servants quarters! He really needs to be more selective about his gigs.

Oh and as an afterthought, the main course of peppered loin of venison with a cranberry pie and crispy salsify was wonderful. The Haggis, the Cranachan, selection of Scottish artisan cheeses, shortbread and butter tablet weren't bad either!
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

...I now grow skeptical.....two edible haggi lauded by our same dynamic duo in the same post?.....címon!
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:43 PM   #4
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings to All,

From this Western Side... of the Great Water...

I am suddenly (and clearly :) minded of a marvelous
Burns Night... these now many years past... and filled
with both active and retired members of several pipe
bands, the military, the law enforcement community,
the legal profession, and all of their collected and many
family and friends.

Songs sung, rounds gleefully consumed... and poems
recited... toasts... and in abundance... and the haggis
wonderfully piped in... and ready for the slicing... :)

"Wait!" suddenly and loudly cried out... an old and kilted
veteran... from the back tables. "There's a special piper's
dirk to use for that!" ... "Give me a moment!"... and off he
ran towards the back of the hall... and the rooms where
most of the kit and gear was in stores...

He quickly appears... and strides towards the haggis... with
a long object... wrapped in brown butcher's paper...

Unwrapping it... he proffers it to the lad who is to now divide
the haggis... and saying... "This is from the old stores."...

Exclaimed one of the guests at a nearer table... "It still has
some of the cosmoline on it!"... in near horror....

"We know!!" replied the kilted old veteran... "It helps make
the haggis taste better!... along with another quaich or two!"

"Snicker-Snack"... went the now newly reclaimed piper's dirk...

Kerplop!... went the slices of haggis upon the plates...

"Glug-Glug"... accompanied the rounding quaiches...

More tunes... more songs... toasts and poems... and a Good
Night to All!... and to All... a Good Night!! :)

Though heavy were the heads next day... light were the hearts!!
(And no one complained... o' th' haggis! :)

Regards to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 01-23-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:56 AM   #5
Roger Huth

I had to look up cosmoline
Petrol flavoured haggis
Roddy - that punch was nowhere near hard enough
My own adventure continued:
Writing my drivel I realised time was pressing and looked hopefully at the door to where Ranald was entertaining his guests
It opened and a figure waved me forward
I grabbed my pipes and bonnet and stood in the doorway waiting for the linking of hands
The Ranald himself then stood by me and I resisted the urge to make him an offer on his vintage sporran
'What were you thinking of playing pipe major'
'Auld Lang Syne Sir'
'I was thinking perhaps a piobaireachd instead. Shall I announce it, or should we allow the music to do its work'
My thoughts were;
I've missed my last train
Park 'The Hard Drive'
Alistair Dearg
'Perhaps the music rather than demand a silence'
'Okay then'
Faces looked up when the piper started playing and as I ambled past the rows, I became aware that conversations were ceasing as the ceol mor spoke instead
At its conclusion, it was the only pipe music that received applause all night
After that I didn't mind missing my last train from Waterloo and having to taxi in from Farnborough instead
A few more Burns for me to go yet, and for other pipers too I suspect
Roger Huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:37 AM   #6
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

#3 for me tonight as well, although not of nine - if only by dint of raising my rates to the frankly eyewatering - although I will certainly be a well fed rustic by the end of this week.

Down here in London the combination of piper & haggis addresser is a popular one, so I have also been rehearsing my dirk-waving skills: nae heids snedded yet, but time will tell.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:28 AM   #7
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've not yet done my first of 2018, they're on this weekend.

Most of the Burns Suppers I've attended over the last 40 years, here across the great water that divides us, have been somewhat ludicrous affairs: Burns' dialect poetry being read by people who can't pronounce it to an audience that doesn't understand it.

Poetry has sound, and it has meaning... but it has neither sound nor meaning at these American events.

Burns also wrote poetry in Standard English. I don't know why our events don't focus on those works. The readers could read it, and the listeners could understand it.

Oh and the ostentatious outfits, the Brigadoonery! But that's another story.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 01-24-2018 at 06:30 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #8
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post

Oh and the ostentatious outfits, the Brigadoonery! But that's another story.
I have always wondered how symbols of Gaelic Scotland came to be included in a ceremony honoring a Lowlander. Burns' verse was often uncomplimentary to the Scottish Gael and I've read that this goes back to the quartering of the Highland Host in 1678 on the southwest of Scotland, an event that left a lasting hatred of the Gael (Mž-run můr nan Gall) in the Scottish Lowlands.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #9
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post

Burns' dialect poetry being read by people who can't pronounce it to an audience that doesn't understand it.

"Auld Lang Syne" ...

Everybody sings it... Nobody... understands it...

(Pass th' quaich... if you please... )

(And enough ta make "quakers"... of us all. )

Last edited by Pip01; 01-24-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
Neil Clark
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Mid way through a short one here.. most varied though.

First one most pleasant, although just a bit nervous.First at Murrayfeild Golf Club, Edinburgh. I play as half of my matrimonial Folk Duo on Smallpipes, Whistles and Sing, while the Piper for the evening and his pal, one a Gold Medallist, CLASP, etc, and both solo judges, listen. Both are always kind with their feedback, but I'm bottling it nonetheless..
Then a celebration of Burns and Pakistans national poet in the same event, held in the main for our asian community. They serve the best curry in the world, and I always leave before its served as I'm teaching later in the day. One day I'm staying for the curry.
Tomorrow a local kids nursery, then up to Torphicen on Friday night for a community hall job. Usually have a lodge one on Saturday night, then more after, but this year we're off to the Falkland Islands for two weeks teaching and performing..
Strange time of year.. a lot to be said for baling out and coming to the two January Florida Comps. Maybe again some day...
Neil Clark is offline   Reply With Quote