Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-08-2018, 11:35 PM   #1
John MacDonald
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via Yahoo to John MacDonald
Default City of Dunedin (FL) - Phenomenal Piping Drumming Dancing and Scottish Arts Programme

Hello Forumites

I have been inactive on this site for quite some time (YEARS), after retirement due to travels and other matters.

However, I am now somewhat more settled and with more time to come back towards the piping fold. In the past several years I have been between the UK, Canada and now DUNEDIN in FLORIDA USA.

My presence in Dunedin came about totally and utterly by chance. Having arrived here approximately 10 months ago I now realize that the place is utterly and totally BAGPIPE CENTRAL USA. - Literally.

Those within the wider piping / pipe band circles will know that the City of Dunedin (FL) pipe band achieved 4th in Gr 2 at the 2017 Worlds. They intend to return this year. Hopefully to achieve even greater heights. Here is a link to the EUSPBA season results http://competitionmanager.azurewebsi...=2&seasonId=40

The purpose of my post is to make the wider forum aware of the investment in education of the youth that exists here and also the extensive feeder system within the youth and community programme. Dunedin as a geographic area is only 9.5 square miles and has a community of 37,000.

A summary of the main band and the history/ area is accessible here. http://www.dunedinpipeband.com/about/

Knowledge of this programme and its extent may assist members and bands to really focus on their own programmes. I am extremely, extremely impressed. - Those who know me will know that I’m not prone to be “gushy” and therefore praise is directed where it is due.

The link to the HIGH SCHOOL bands (x3) are here https://sites.google.com/site/dunedinhighband/home

I will attach a link to the latest photograph of the Gr 5,4 and 2 band at the Fort Lauderdale Games, which might appear at the beginning or end of the post. The number recorded is 90!! -This excludes the feeder bands whom I would estimate at around 30...A good number of the present Gr4 and 2 band are all home grown talent. In my eyes this is a testament to the standard of the available tuition, particularly as I can compare it with that of the Scots Guards School at Pirbright in UK.

Having originated from an era when piping within the British Army was (IMHO) at its height; and having been exposed to the Canadian Piping School at Base Borden (ON) and also the Canadian Cadet System methodology of Piping then what I see hear and experience within the Dunedin system is to be envied.

I am looking forward to my year in the civilian / competition environment

Old 03-09-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
John MacDonald
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via Yahoo to John MacDonald
Default Re: City of Dunedin (FL) - Phenomenal Piping Drumming Dancing and Scottish Arts Progr

I sEE that the link to the band photograph did not work so here is the link to the facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/cityofduned...55985174646745
Old 03-11-2018, 11:16 PM   #3
yacht_rocker
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: City of Dunedin (FL) - Phenomenal Piping Drumming Dancing and Scottish Arts Progr

I agree, what they have going on in Dunedin is special indeed. I had a chance to speak with a few of the members last week during the Ft Lauderdale games and they filled me in on using the schools as a feeder system. Just a top notch band all around and every grade sounded great that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
yacht_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #4
DNorwood
Forum Regular

Glad you found them.

Even "old" members go back there with regularity to support the events and programs. Sandy Keith was instrumental in creating what you see there.
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote