Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-17-2020, 01:25 PM   #11
NoisyPiper
Forum Member

Default Re: Solo chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by connpiper View Post
Been reading the Gandy is made by, Kyo modeled by McCallum.
I am a student of Bruce's, and I own a Gandy chanter, and I can tell you very definitively that this is not true. I remember when the chanter was under development, and Bruce was flying over there regularly to have the chanters adjusted and updated before the public launch of them. They were designed by the folks at McCallum with advice from Bruce and Alex, and are made at McCallum's facility in Kilmarnock.
NoisyPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-19-2020, 05:46 AM   #12
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

The McC2 is a great chanter, but with the pitch increase in solos in the last few years, more people are favoring models that are a bit higher pitched, 480-485.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:17 AM   #13
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
The McC2 is a great chanter, but with the pitch increase in solos in the last few years, more people are favoring models that are a bit higher pitched, 480-485.
I was recently invited to play with a local fire dept pipe band and found out that they are playing poly McC2 chanters pitched at 475 Hz. I had shown up at their band practice with my band poly McCallum chanter, which is playing at 480 Hz. Had to switch over to my solo reed, which is set to my ABW McC2 chanter (my solo chanter) to play with them. Next time I will take my solo set. Unusual to run into any band playing lower than 479 Hz unless they are using the B-flat chanters. 475 Hz or lower is usually a pitch for solo gigs, in my experience.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:19 AM   #14
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
ABW Shepherd with MacLellan reed.

Seems that any modern chanter should work fine for solo as long as it is paired with the right reed and compliments the drones.
I agree. Chanter and sentiments on modern chanters

I find the Shepherd is a fantastic chanter, I either use a Shepherd Moulded reed or a Troy-MacAllister, both with pleasing results.

If I was in the market for something else, a Naill or RJM solo would be tickling my fancy.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:13 AM   #15
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have an McC2 and I love the tone. I have a hard time getting any reed to play in tune (specifically a wicked sharp high G) under certain weather conditions. I'm sure it's user problem, not a chanter problem. But I can take any of the reeds I'm having trouble with and put them in my Soutar chanter and they play in tune.

So I started using my Soutar chanter for solo competition because it was one less thing to worry about. If you don't have any problems reeding the McC2 then that wouldn't be an issue for you.